cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

white arrow in execuatable files

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everybody!

I have problem creating executable files. I want the files not to start running until the user don't write some parametres. So I want that the user could fillful some fields and when he finishes, he could launch the program using the white arrow (like  when you are executing it using Labview).

When I create one of the file I unselect the option of "run when it starts", and i get the white arrow in the executable front panel. However, i try to do the same with the other files and I am not able. Could sb. explain me which are the steps I have to take to let the user control the execution??

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,362 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author 1000a

You could always just run the VI on startup, as is default and do some extra code so that the user can control the execution:

You could check the values of the fields to make sure that they have been changed, when they all have, run the code.

You could  have a "start" button on your front panel that would be the conditional for a while loop at the very beginning of your code

You could use an event structure, and only execute the code once the user has pressed a certain button, or a certain field was changed.

Chris Van Horn
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,351 Views)

This is quite common, but most of the time you don't need to programmatically "run" the main VI. There are ways to do that, but I don't think you need to.

You can just have your user-input parameters run in a loop as shown. After the user enters the settings and hits OK, the main program loop runs.

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,349 Views)

Thanks Broken Arrow and Chris for your ideas. I think I will use or the start button solution or the secuence one. 🙂

But after reading your answer I went on confused because I didn't understand why there was a white arrow in just one of the executable but not in the rest of them so I looked attentively to all the properties of executables files to find the differences. And my mistake was a very silly one: In the project of the file in which I could create the executable the START VI was the first file of the tree, however in the other cases the start vi was in other position of VI. So when I was checking the properties of the source file setting, in the successful case I was checking the properties of the start vi (and I unselected in the Customize VI Properties the "run when it starts" option), however in the other cases I was changing the properties of a subVI of the program and I wasn't doing it for the main vi.

Thanks!

1000A

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,320 Views)