From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is kudos?

Solved!
Go to solution

Lucither wrote:

I wish i could join in the conversation about old computers but im only 31, so way to young for thatSmiley Very Happy

I did used to love the sound of my Spectrum Sinclair loading Barbarian, should bring it out on itunes so i can listen to it again.

Damn, how old do you think we are? 37 here. 😉

And Barbarian was a great game.

Message Edited by Yamaeda on 04-08-2010 10:31 AM
G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 88
(2,055 Views)

Lucither wrote:

I wish i could join in the conversation about old computers but im only 31, so way to young for thatSmiley Very Happy

You think you're too young at 31?? I'm 28. My first computer was a BBC Basic when I was 7 and then we got a PC with Windows 3.1 on it when I was about 10. I didn't start learning any languages other than Basic until after Uni.

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 88
(2,052 Views)
WOW

James W wrote:

Lucither wrote:

You think you're too young at 31?? I'm 28. My first computer was a BBC Basic when I was 7 and then we got a PC with Windows 3.1 on it when I was about 10. I didn't start learning any languages other than Basic until after Uni.

I can still remember talking my father into buying my first computer system (at a rather tender age)  It was totally state of the art and had a high speed storage device that was able to read or write over 1Kb/sec.  I hate to date myself but, my introduction to"Graphical Programming" (they called it that) was in Turtle Logo. 

Any one else fluent ?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 88
(2,018 Views)

Wow you guys are young, talking about "personal computers". So fancy!

That term did not even exist when I started programming.

We punched our cards in high school, then drove the card stack once a week to the state capital where the govenrnment had a big room full of computing hardware. I think it had 32kB of memory total.

Anyone remember the paper stock that was patterned and ruled correctly to write FORTRAN programs with paper and pencil? That's how you design the program before going to the card puncher. 80 spaces, starting with comment, statement number, continuation field, statement, and ID field at the end.

Here's a fancy version (printed, not paper&pencil)

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 88
(1,997 Views)

altenbach wrote:

Wow you guys are young, talking about "personal computers". So fancy!

That term did not even exist when I started programming.

We punched our cards in high school, then drove the card stack once a week to the state capital where the govenrnment had a big room full of computing hardware. I think it had 32kB of memory total.

When I first heard the term "PC" is was for Portable Computer and was the name for the Compaq (same one in James Burke's series "Connections") that had dual 8.5 inch floppies and COULD be carried by a single person. Bot where they a pain to fix! Two pounds of shift registers in a one pound sock.

In order to handle those "Old Timers" that come into our office for LabVIEW training and start bragging about "toogle-ins", I keep on my desk;

1) The Front Panel of a PDP-11/70

2) An 8.5 inch floppy

3) Punch cards

4) 512 BITS (not bytes) of core memory

This lets the instructors reply "I'll see your toggle-in and raise you core memory." Smiley Wink

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 35 of 88
(1,991 Views)
I remember the cards and the forms. At my first job, we'd drop the forms off at one desk, pick up the stack of cards the next day, drop those off at a different desk, and then pick up the printed results the day after that. Most often, the report would indicate an error on one of the cards and it would often take several days before we would even get a succesful compile.
Message 36 of 88
(1,990 Views)

ABEND

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 88
(1,987 Views)

altenbach wrote:
Anyone remember the paper stock that was patterned and ruled correctly to write FORTRAN programs with paper and pencil? That's how you design the program before going to the card puncher. 80 spaces, starting with comment, statement number, continuation field, statement, and ID field at the end.

I do! I do!

Wait... why am I so quick to age myself? Smiley Very Happy

Message 38 of 88
(1,972 Views)
We'll have to be called the "League of Grumpy Old Men" L-GOM for short...
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 88
(1,967 Views)
I still have my TI-30 calculator, circa 1977 that I keep at my desk. And it still works.
PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 88
(1,955 Views)