LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to continuously read position from a stepper motor while moving it

I'm writing a LabVIEW 7.1 application that involves sending move commands to a ThorLabs 3-axis translation stage. This is being controlled via stepper motors which in turn, are controlled via a BSC103  controller (USB link). I can send move commands to the unit fine, and also read position. What I would like is to have a real time display of position, while carrying out move commands.

In previous programming work I've been involved in, this kind of sounds like a detached process kind of thing. Can this be setup with LabVIEW 7.1?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,969 Views)

Search the Labview examples for the "Robot.vi"

I think that is (or something similar), what you want.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,953 Views)
Had a look at the robort.vi. Very impressive. Through that, I've been able to get my application to run with continuous update of stepper position.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,932 Views)
Hi there. I know this is an old thread but I would be interested in knowing what NI hardware you used to send the move commands (pulse trains), to your 3 axis driver??.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,591 Views)

Looks like datalog hasn't 'logged' in in nearly 4 years.

I suspect from his initial post that he was not using any NI hardware but rather sending commands and recieveing data via the USB connection to the drive.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,583 Views)

Hello,

Sorry to hijack an old thread... I was trying to find the "robot.vi" you mentioned, and I couldn't find it. Does anyone know how to find it, or has a copy of it they can post?

Thanks,

SM

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,456 Views)

Hi.

The Robot.vi is not to be found in the Example finder.

There are some good vi's located in the folder "Robotics -> Control and simulation".

Go through the simulations and find the one which fits your project best.

I have attatched a picture showing the example finder.

I would recomend looking at "SimEx Robot Differential Steering.vi" or " Quadcopter Dynamics and Control.vi".

\\ mBaltzer

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,424 Views)

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,393 Views)