From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to continuously read position from a stepper motor while moving it

I'm writing a LabVIEW 7.1 application that involves sending move commands to a ThorLabs 3-axis translation stage. This is being controlled via stepper motors which in turn, are controlled via a BSC103  controller (USB link). I can send move commands to the unit fine, and also read position. What I would like is to have a real time display of position, while carrying out move commands.

In previous programming work I've been involved in, this kind of sounds like a detached process kind of thing. Can this be setup with LabVIEW 7.1?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,955 Views)

Search the Labview examples for the "Robot.vi"

I think that is (or something similar), what you want.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,939 Views)
Had a look at the robort.vi. Very impressive. Through that, I've been able to get my application to run with continuous update of stepper position.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,918 Views)
Hi there. I know this is an old thread but I would be interested in knowing what NI hardware you used to send the move commands (pulse trains), to your 3 axis driver??.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,577 Views)

Looks like datalog hasn't 'logged' in in nearly 4 years.

I suspect from his initial post that he was not using any NI hardware but rather sending commands and recieveing data via the USB connection to the drive.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,569 Views)

Hello,

Sorry to hijack an old thread... I was trying to find the "robot.vi" you mentioned, and I couldn't find it. Does anyone know how to find it, or has a copy of it they can post?

Thanks,

SM

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,442 Views)

Hi.

The Robot.vi is not to be found in the Example finder.

There are some good vi's located in the folder "Robotics -> Control and simulation".

Go through the simulations and find the one which fits your project best.

I have attatched a picture showing the example finder.

I would recomend looking at "SimEx Robot Differential Steering.vi" or " Quadcopter Dynamics and Control.vi".

\\ mBaltzer

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,410 Views)

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,379 Views)