LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tab in control

Can u please ellaborate on event structure.

I am new to labview

thanks for d help 🙂

I even need to mention the column i hav to export to. Is any other way other than downloading the tool kit ?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,746 Views)

Hi Siya,

Event structures are used for handling button press, key press through keyboard.

These can be user generated or else we can set event to fire programmatically.

While adding each case, we have to select which event source to use
like, mouse down, mouse up. Two types are events are there.
Notify and filter events. Filter events ends with Question mark.
Main difference between them is, In Filter event, you can discard the event if you dont

want the event to be handled. Its detailed over here.

For exporting specific column use index array.

I have attached an example, refer to it.

Aarthi
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,743 Views)

hey,tach

i am trying to achieve video recording. that is when i press butto record it should start recording utill i press stop button. Can anyone attach program to achieve this?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,724 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@aeastet wrote:

You could make a subVI that has a tab control in it. Then call the subvi in a sub panel. Tha would get you close to what you are looking for.

Of course, if using a sub panel you don't need the tab at all- just load a different vi into the sub-panel based on program state and the darn messy tab problems don't exist!

Did I ever mention I HATE tab controls? Never found a reason that I HAD to use 'em either. 

Now don't hold back Jeff, tell us what you really think.

Could you please share what you don't like about tab controls?

Compared to what I had to do before tab control were invented, they are a dream come true.

So as you may expect, I am suprised by your post and am curious what is behind that opinion.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 14 of 18
(1,721 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

@aeastet wrote:

You could make a subVI that has a tab control in it. Then call the subvi in a sub panel. Tha would get you close to what you are looking for.

Of course, if using a sub panel you don't need the tab at all- just load a different vi into the sub-panel based on program state and the darn messy tab problems don't exist!

Did I ever mention I HATE tab controls? Never found a reason that I HAD to use 'em either. 

Now don't hold back Jeff, tell us what you really think.

Could you please share what you don't like about tab controls?

Compared to what I had to do before tab control were invented, they are a dream come true.

So as you may expect, I am suprised by your post and am curious what is behind that opinion.

Ben

This may all have changed since 8.6 but the specific bevahior that turned me off of tabs was this:

Large GUI with multiple tabs (Execute Main Test, Administative tasks, Engineering Features) Another developer who shall remain on my $!!+ list actually got customer approval of this FP mock-up and "Locked in the GUI design"  He did the right thing and passed VI server refs of the various controls to GUI handlers so he could update the FP from anywhere in scope.  He got the code %90 complete by his estimate (not really but a signifigant amout of code on disk) HE was promptly sacked after some other unrelated infractions and I got retasked to integrate the code with hardware. and incorporate the inevitable scope creep resulting from the customers need to signifigantly alter the embedded FW in the DUT

Lo-and Behold! for some strange reason switching tabs caused all the refs on both the original selected and newly selected tabs to go stale! (UGH! my GUI controllers puked!)  not my finest hour.  I Wound up refactoring each module to grab a ref to the main app and from there get a new ref to the needed controls EACH time I needed to update the GUI (The Codestench was amazing)

Whenever I'm tempted to use a tab these days I use a subpanel (GERM) and controll it with a customized radio button.  Since I programaticall set the text and visibility of the Radio container I have a "pseudo tab" with however many "Tabs" I need.  It scales nice.  I used to use bools but ran accross the radio button solution reciently from a rather ingenious soon to be reformed C programmer.

RB.png

Here's a sanitized glimpse of the technique. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 15 of 18
(1,703 Views)

What a differnece that first taste makes!

In my case I previously had to fit all of the controls and indicators of "Loose Parts PDetector" for a nuke plat on a 800 X 600 screen without the use of tabs or property nodes (only attribute nodes back then). I saw them as a way of grouping controls and indicators and controlling their visability as groups. It is avery rare application indeed that I do not use a tab control.

Thanks for sharing your experience and alternative approach. It may serve when the tabs fail.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,688 Views)

I think I have used a tab control for evey program that I have now. It is very useful in grouping and showing what you want the operator to see.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(1,686 Views)

@siya wrote:

hey,tach

i am trying to achieve video recording. that is when i press butto record it should start recording utill i press stop button. Can anyone attach program to achieve this?

I think we've strayed quite a bit from the original question. Please create your own thread with this question.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(1,678 Views)