From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

svchost

I am running into an issue on machines with Labview installed. either 2K or XP boxes. After a period of time... 10 minutes, an hour and a half; nothing you can really put your finger on, the windows SVCHOST file (one of them) will start eating up usable RAM until Labview crashes when it tries to do anything. I have seen this problem on 4 machines now... Seems to have just started and nothing in the environment has really changed. I did search before posting!!!

Ed
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,265 Views)
I can't offer an exact answer since svchost is a generic process used by many programs. Also, since you say it's happening on multiple machines I would guess it's something that's installed on each machine, not necessarily LabVIEW. Things I would check for:
  • Antivirus programs. If on, disable them and see if the problem goes away.
  • Spyware. Never know.
  • Firewall. Are the machines running a software based firewall, or are they all connected to a LAN with a hardware firewall?
  • Windows Update. This little thing likes to run at the most annoying times. Turn off temporarily and see if the problem goes away.
  • Auto-updated. Many programs (too many, in my opinion) have an auto-update feature that look to a home server to download updated.
  • Taskbar tray. How many icons do you have down there to indicate other programs running?
  • NI services. When installing LabVIEW it likes to install all these services, none of which are really necessary for development. When you turn them off you lose some functionality, such as searching by "task" in the Example Finder, or being able to place functions on the block diagram from the online Help, but it doesn't prevent you from developing. I would start turning them off one by one to see if one of them is causing the problem.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,243 Views)