LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

save and recall front panel configuration on FPGA

Solved!
Go to solution

First of all, I am a first time user of Labview.  The application is with an FPGA on a NI-9146 board.

My question is, I would like to save the front panel settings when I exit the application, then recall them the next time the application is started. 

Seems to be a few ways to do this but are not supported with the FPGA module. 

The application is fairly straight forward timing and the Windows host PC will provide a GUI to the operator.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,172 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dwbeeker

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but this task is more tedious then it needs to be.

The normal way of doing this on the FPGA is to plop down a FPGA read function for every control on the FPGA front panel, then write them to a file.  Probably using an OpenG function, but really something like the binary write would work if you don't expect to add/remove items.  Then when the application starts you need to reverse the process ploping down a FPGA write function for every control.

Now there is a slighly easier way that in theory works in a limited use case.  The FPGA VI when running is just like a normal VI and you can get a reference to it.  Here you could run the OpenG Write Panel to INI, and Read Panel from INI.  These are two canned functions that save tons of time.  Now the reason this might not work for most FPGA developers is because in the end, the goal is to not see the FPGA VI and instead only run the bit file and call into the FPGA using the hooks NI provides.  It sounds like you are going to have the VI shown anyway so this method may actually work for you.

It does kinda suck and I think it would be nice if NI had a way to read and write all FPGA front panel controls at once for things like this.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,148 Views)

Thanks for the assistance.  I thought it would be a simple matter but it looks like I will have to dig in.  Not sure what an OpenG function is or how to access it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,128 Views)

@dwbeeker wrote:

Thanks for the assistance.  I thought it would be a simple matter but it looks like I will have to dig in.  Not sure what an OpenG function is or how to access it.

OpenG is a free awesome toolkit that no LabVIEW developer should be without.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/209027

Many cool functions that people have developed over the years.  Many functions you wish came with LabVIEW nativly.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,122 Views)