Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Start Asynchronous Call" as it should be

I never liked having to do this:

11.png

I submitted an idea (here) to have it be like this:

22.png

But nothing happened.  So I made my own.  Drop this XNode on your block diagram and you have a nice asych call.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 1 of 52
(3,941 Views)

That looks awesome! I'm on LV 2016 so I couldn't open it, but just out of curiosity: could you use option 0x40 to launch clones? Is the "close VI reference" inside the XNode? I notice you also have a reference as an output.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 52
(3,931 Views)

@Gregory wrote:

That looks awesome! I'm on LV 2016 so I couldn't open it, but just out of curiosity: could you use option 0x40 to launch clones? Is the "close VI reference" inside the XNode? I notice you also have a reference as an output.

It has 2 modes:

1. "Call and Forget" which opens with option 80 hex starts the VI, and closes the reference (hence having no ref out).
  2. "Call and Collect" which opens with option 100 hex, and outputs, rather than closing, the reference.

Here is a 2016 version.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 52
(3,919 Views)

Nice work!

I think I am missing something though, when I use Call & Collect the reference to the Wait On Asynchronous Call vi is broken. Should I be using something else?

Cheers,

mcduff

Snap23.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 52
(3,907 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

Nice work!

I think I am missing something though, when I use Call & Collect the reference to the Wait On Asynchronous Call vi is broken. Should I be using something else?

Cheers,

mcduff

Snap23.png

Looks like I broke it somehow on my final cleanup.  A fixed version is coming soon.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 52
(3,901 Views)

Here it is, fixed up.

Message 6 of 52
(3,861 Views)

Thanks.

One last quick question, do you keep these XNodes in your user library or is there another preferred place for them?

Cheers,

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 52
(3,855 Views)

We keep them in a folder of commonly used VIs (not on C:).  I'm not sure if there's a 'proper' or best place for XNodes.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 52
(3,850 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

We keep them in a folder of commonly used VIs (not on C:).  I'm not sure if there's a 'proper' or best place for XNodes.

In my opinion they behave just like classes.  A single file which is a library (xml), which references other files needed.  With that type of definition I'd say any place a class is stored is appropriate for an XNode.  I'm a big fan of VIPM and as a result I generally make packages which install XNodes on the palette.  BTW this XNode is awesome.

Edit: and yes I do get an email every time someone says XNode on the forums.

Spoiler
XNode XNode XNode XNode XNode XNode XNode XNode XNode XNode 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 52
(3,846 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

In my opinion they behave just like classes.  A single file which is a library (xml), which references other files needed.  With that type of definition I'd say any place a class is stored is appropriate for an XNode.  I'm a big fan of VIPM and as a result I generally make packages which install XNodes on the palette.  BTW this XNode is awesome.

Edit: and yes I do get an email every time someone says XNode on the forums.

Spoiler
XNode XNode XNode XNode XNode XNode XNode XNode XNode XNode 🙂

Do you ever have trouble getting XNodes on the palette?  I often have to jump through hoops to get them on a palette (though this one doesn't give me any trouble).

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 52
(3,839 Views)