From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Start Asynchronous Call" as it should be

@Hooovahh wrote:

Listen I can make all the packages we want I just think Paul has several worth highlighting and it might make more sense to have a Paul's Favorite XNodes package which has a bunch of these rather than a package for each XNode.  I wouldn't want a palette for each array function for instance.  This is a bit larger of a request but one I can still help out with.  I'd just need a list of XNodes Paul things is ready for public consumption.  I think I can find most he's posted.

If you do that, I will create fake profiles just to give multiple kudos.

mcduff

Message 21 of 52
(973 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

I'm not sure what you want.  This statically references a VI; but there's no such thing as a static reference to a clone.

I think they mean something like this:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/building-an-executable-with-vits-with-Labview-2011/m-p/2384984#M740...

In that example I show using a static VI reference to spawn N clones of a VI.  For that to be used with Call and Forget you OR 0x40, with 0x80 to get 0xC0.  This only is possible if the VI is reentrant, and if the options are set properly.  In your XNode they are hard codded to either 0x80, or 0x100.  Basically I think the best option to do this would be to add a right click option on your node that ORs with 0x40 if set to reentrant, and then doesn't if it is off.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 52
(970 Views)

Side note: the use of 0x40 is widely misunderstood.  You don't need it to create a reentrant clone, and it adds needless overhead.

Message 23 of 52
(968 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

That won't be necessary but a Texas tea at NI Week will do Smiley Happy

Attached is a package with 3 of Paul's XNodes in them.  Very minimal cleanup effort but it has a proper icon for the palettes, and a bit more documentation in the package.  Also there was a few VIs named the same and I had to relink to just one copy, they all were the same code.  Oh and it is for 2018 because one of the VI sources was 2018 but back saving to 2017 is possible.  Earlier won't work since one of them contains a VIM.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 52
(965 Views)

@EricR wrote:

@paul_cardinale

Are you open to a discussion with me about allowing NI to just ship this code?  Either as an example or as a palette add/replacement?

eric.reffett@ni.com

Note that "Start Asynchronous Call" has a property called "Static VI Path", but it doesn't do anything.  But this does suggest that a one time, NI was at least considering this functionality.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 52
(946 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Listen I can make all the packages we want I just think Paul has several worth highlighting and it might make more sense to have a Paul's Favorite XNodes package which has a bunch of these rather than a package for each XNode.  I wouldn't want a palette for each array function for instance.  This is a bit larger of a request but one I can still help out with.  I'd just need a list of XNodes Paul things is ready for public consumption.  I think I can find most he's posted.

I can find them all :).  But not everything in my pile is suitable for sharing.  And some of my early XNodes are a bit lacking.  But I'll see if I can put together a collection of fun and useful XNodes.

Message 26 of 52
(956 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

@Hooovahh wrote:

mcduff

That won't be necessary -- I'm reasonably confident that enough Forum participants who can appreciate Paul's contributions will be hitting the Kudo button ...

Bob Schor

Message 27 of 52
(931 Views)

Here is Version 2.  I remember making the following updates:

• Fixed text in help
  • Fixed Help icon (shows up on palette)
  • Fixed spelling in menu
  • Added "Reentrant" option
  • Added "Relink to VI" menu item
  • Now accepts drop of a static VI ref
  • Now auto-updates when linked VI changes in memory
  • Should be backward compatible with instances of previous version
Message 28 of 52
(925 Views)

Here are some others you might like:

ctc.png

lms.png

pci2a.png

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 52
(922 Views)

More Xnodes:

sa.png

usc.png

xde.png

xii.png

And Index and Unbundle (I never made Help for it.  It's the complement of Index and Bundle)

iau.png

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 52
(920 Views)