cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"No supported devices found" in LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there.

I am trying to set up a new cDAQ 9137 device for a hydrogen electrolyser. 

I have connected the device to NI MAX with no problems, installing NI-DAQmx 20.7 on it and am able to self-test the device and receive signals when clicking on "Test Panels..." on each of the four connected modules. 

When I go on to my LabVIEW (version 2020) and try to use the DAQ Assistant it returns "No supported devices found" when trying to acquire an analog input voltage signal (or any other signal for that matter, even digital).

Please can someone help me check I haven't missed anything. I will be happy to answer with any more details about my problem.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,702 Views)

±Search the Web for "Learn 10 Functions in NI-DAQmx and Handle 80% of your Data Acquisition Applications".  Read it carefully.  The first section talks about the Dreaded DAQ Assistant, which you should never use (unless you want to do one simple thing, very quickly, and have never seen how simple DAQmx can be).  Skip that section and read the rest of it.

Once you're ready to try DAQmx, this is the "simple, beginner" way to start:

1. Open MAX.
  2. Find your Device.  Find the Plug-In you want to test.
  3. Open a Test Panel for the Plug-In.  Configure it for your task.  So if it is an A/D Module, set the kind of sampling (you probably want Continuous), sampling rate, # samples, Range (±10 V?).  Run the Test Panel and see if it looks like it is doing something.  Then (in MAX) click "Create Task" and (as they say) create a Task (choose a better name than MyFirstTask).
  4. As possibly a better alternative than using MAX to create the Task, if you are using LabVIEW Project to develop your "Project", you can do a "New", "DAQmx Task" from the My Computer node.  And once you get the hang of DAQmx, you can use DAQmx, itself, to search for connected devices and let you choose which one you want to use.  But let's leave that for after you've learned more LabVIEW skills ...
  5. So what do you want to do?  You want to Start a Task (DAQmx Start Task), read, say, 1000 A/D samples (DAQmx Read) over and over (While Loop, perhaps showing them in a Chart), push a Stop button, and then Stop the Task (DAQmx Stop Task).  So you need three DAQmx functions connected by the Error Line and the Task/Channel line (in the logical order), a While Loop around the Read, the Stop Button in the right place, and the Task.  Where's the Task?
  6. Right-click the Task Input (upper left corner) of Start Task, and choose "Create Constant".  You'll get a blank (unnamed) Task Constant.  See the little triangle?  If you push that, you should see the Task(s) you created in steps 3 or 4.  Select it, then test your code.  [Oops, forgot to tell you to check the connectors of the DAQmx Read -- you probably need to set its inputs properly, and may want to wire a Chart to the output so you can see your data as it comes in).

If this still doesn't work, something is seriously wrong.  Come back, and be sure to attach the VI (no pictures, please) that you tried to use.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,628 Views)

Hi Bob,

I really appreciate you replying and thanks for the help.

Bizarrely, I am able to run the Test Panel for my added modules and it returns a signal. I can also create a task in MAX and I am able assign this task to one of the physical channels from my modules (e.g. lists cDAQ1Mod3 (NI 9201) ai0, ai1 etc.).

Once in LabVIEW however, when trying to use the "dreaded" DAQ assistant it returns No Physical Channels, and when I try to create a task using the LabVIEW project, My Computer method it again returns No Physical Channels. 

I created a simple VI just to check it wasn't working and tried completing point 6 of your previous message, and lo and behold there are no tasks that I can choose. 

I am in the process of contacting a NI engineer to help me, it seems to be a problem with LabVIEW rather than MAX or my cDAQ.

Aidan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,606 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ANichs123

Spoke with an NI engineer who was incredibly helpful, thought I would share the solution to those stuck on the same problem.

In a LabVIEW project you need to add your device by right clicking on your project (with the project window open), then navigate to 'New' then 'Targets and Devices...'. 

Then find your device in the pop-up window. 

After clicking 'Ok' your device should be added to the project. Now you need to 'Deploy' the device by right clicking on it and selecting deploy.

And you will be good to go. Make sure all subsequent VI's in which you use your device, are created under your device and not under 'My Computer'. Was a really simple fix but I couldn't find these instructions any where unfortunately. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,595 Views)

Hi ANichs,

it really would help when you would attach images without downscaling them! This way one could read the text.

(You also don't need to set the project window to fullscreen just for the sake of screenshots…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,588 Views)

I have removed the screenshots

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,582 Views)