From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about input impedance

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I was trying to measure a voltage source with 10kohm internal impedance, and I connect the source directly with NI-USB 6009. When the voltage source is 5.043V, the data recorded by labview is around 4.8V. I checked the manual of USB-6009 and found that the input circuit (see the attachment). So I guess when the device was taking data, it was actually taking the data on the crossing node and then converted it back with impedance figures shown in the graph. That's why I got data lower than it should have been.

I was wondering is there any way to deal with it, other than calculating back and converting it with correct impedance?

Regards,

Jude

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,314 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JudeLi

Hi Jude,

you could use an OpAmp to amplify your signal (1:1) an so lower the impedance seen by the USB6009. You could also use some other DAQ hardware with higher input impedance.

In the end the conclusion is: you have to choose your DAQ hardware according to specifications of signal source. You have chosen the wrong hardware...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 4
(2,297 Views)

Hi GerdW,

Thanks for replying! It helps a lot!

Regards,

Jude

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,281 Views)

@GerdW wrote:
you have to choose your DAQ hardware according to specifications of signal source. You have chosen the wrong hardware...

While I normally agree with this...

... The cost difference between a $1500 DAQ with a reasonable Z-in and a 600x with an op-amp ... is a pretty big difference.

I don't mind doing building signal conditioning circuits if it allows me to lower the cost of a system by $1k.  And when you multiply that system by 10+ units, that adds up to a -lot- of money.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,274 Views)