LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

prototype information from project file

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an application where I am building a dll and the functions in the dll need to be wrapped to be used in another software package. I am trying to create the text based wrapper file automatically. Ideally I ould like to only use the project file to do this but there is some information that I do not see in the file.

I do not see where the the function prototype. Because of this, I have tried to build it from the VIProtoInfo which I can get all the paramater names, if they are controlls or indicators and can determine is they are strings but I do not see the datatype of other types of controls. I aslo do not see a way to determine which source is for which vi. I know I could open the VIs' and match stuff up but I am hoping for a cleaner solution. 

Is there any documentation available that would help me wit this information?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,169 Views)

Hi terrill, check the next link, it is for creating wrappers automatically

Tutorial: Creating Wrapper VIs for C/C++ DLL functions using the Import Shared Library Wizard

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-9078

could you clarify the problem you have with the function prototype? the description is a bit confusing, maybe attach the vi or some screenshots of what you have until now

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,102 Views)

Hi niarena,

Thank you for your input. I am actually going in the other direction. I have a project that I have built into a dll. I am using the dll functions in c code. I am trying to automate the writing of the c code that is needed to use them. Sorry, I do not have any code except reading of the project file. 

To simplify I just need to either read of create the function prototype for each function that is created. I have attacted a picture of the build specfication window that shows the function prototype. My guess is that I should be able to use the application builder code to do this but I have not found clear documentation of how to do this. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,091 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author terrill

When you generate the DLL, it will also produce a .h header file that contains the function prototypes of the exposed functions in the DLL. Look in the 'build specification output' picture - you'll see the generated files: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A3804F88FCDB1E6286257CE00043C1A7

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,069 Views)

Hey Sam_Sharp,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have no idea why I never thought to use the header file.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,045 Views)
Normally you would mark the post that helped you to solve the problem as the solution 🙂

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,030 Views)

Sorry. Somehow I accepted my thank you to you as the solution. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,942 Views)