LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

numeric values

I am very new to labview...

I want to read a value from and instrument be able to change it and then write it back.

I would like to use a numeric indicator to display the value from the instrument and a control to change it. My problem lies in getting a numeric control to initially display the value from the instrument.

thanks   steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,513 Views)

@Murmsk wrote:

I am very new to labview...

I want to read a value from and instrument be able to change it and then write it back.

I would like to use a numeric indicator to display the value from the instrument and a control to change it. My problem lies in getting a numeric control to initially display the value from the instrument.

thanks   steve

This is one case were I recommend using a local variable of your control. With that you can write a value to the control. Just be aware that using local variables introduce the possibility of race conditions.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,512 Views)

Please include a Snippet of your code, or attach your VIs, so that we can better assist you. As mentioned already, a simple local variable should do the trick.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,491 Views)

@Murmsk wrote:

What instrument?  How are you getting the data from the instrument?  How is the said data formatted?  What else is your VI doing?  How often do you need to read the value?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,459 Views)

thanks   the simple variable worked

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,434 Views)

@Murmsk wrote:

Then please mark Mark's post as solution. Potentially give a kudo...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,417 Views)

@Murmsk wrote:

I have never heard of a "simple variable". Can you explain what you did?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,401 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@Murmsk wrote:

I have never heard of a "simple variable". Can you explain what you did?

A "simple local variable" was mentioned as solution. So I'd bet a local variable was used, and it was referred to as simple variable.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,379 Views)