From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.net reference leaks

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey everyone,

we have a xml parser dll written in C# and call this from Labview.

image.png

This Sub-VI apparently produces 5 reference leaks, e.g. for "Step" which is read at the beginning, the list of parameters inside is cleared which should also release all objects within, then some new parameters are created and added to the list. After that the reference to "Step" is stored again for further use (reading the data within at a later time).

Why do I have those leaks? If I run this in a while loop I see LabVIEW using more and more memory.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,655 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tesla1977

Tesla1977 wrote:

image.png

Why do I have those leaks? If I run this in a while loop I see LabVIEW using more and more memory.

Because you don't close the references you open.

Body needs to be closed.

Parameter needs to be closed.

Parameter in the for loop needs to be closed (after the add).

In short: close the references you open!

Message 2 of 8
(3,635 Views)

Well, I think I found it. You posted while I was writing this 🙂

The yellow addition solved it.

image.png

My understanding before was, that by closing the reference to the item after adding it to the list would also make me unable to later retrieve the data from the list.

Apparently these are 2 different instances of a reference to the data.

Is my thinking correct?

Message 3 of 8
(3,625 Views)

@Tesla1977 wrote:

Well, I think I found it. You posted while I was writing this 🙂

The yellow addition solved it.

image.png

My understanding before was, that by closing the reference to the item after adding it to the list would also make me unable to later retrieve the data from the list.

Apparently these are 2 different instances of a reference to the data.

Is my thinking correct?

The reference is just referring to objects. Closing the reference closes, well, the reference. Not the object.

So you are correct. The parent has a reference to it's objects. When you get a reference to the objects, the reference count will be increased. Not closing the reference will leave the reference count on 1. This means the object it won't be removed from memory, even when the parent closes. The references themselves use memory as well. In short: close the references. All of them. 

You also need to close Body, and the outer loop Parameter. You open them before the for loop, you need to close them when done with them. These won't leak as much as the parameters in the for loop, but they will leak! A tiny bit over a longer time is still a lot!

Message 4 of 8
(3,606 Views)

BTW. I don't think you have to set Parameter and Body after the loop (please test first).

Parameter refers to the object in Body, so adding to it will add to the object. Setting it will simply set the exact reference to the exact same object. So the last two property nodes are redundant. Replace them with a close reference, and you should be good.

Same goes for the set VI at the end. The get vi at the start returns a reference. You modify the referred object. No need to set it. You might need to close it, although it depends on the implementation of the get\set.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,602 Views)

Yes, I did close the other references too and don't see any leaks in the Desktop Execution Toolkit anymore.

Now I have to change this in all of the approximately 5 million functions in the project.

Thx a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,600 Views)

@Tesla1977 wrote:

Now I have to change this in all of the approximately 5 million functions in the project.

Thx a lot.

At least you won't forget the lesson learned!

Message 7 of 8
(3,596 Views)

One side note I can add - .NET CLR and GC doesn't use reference counting in the traditional sense to manage whether an object can be collected due to lack of references. This is a good starting reference https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/garbage-collection/fundamentals

This thread also has some useful background information (here) but the general rule of thumb is, for any object that you have created a wire for, close the reference once you are done. The references will all get closed once the top level VI in the hierarchy goes idle but for some applications this can be a very long time away. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,566 Views)