LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory page seems to ignore diagram constants

Solved!
Go to solution

It can live on the disk the same way we can watch a video that contains more info that our machine memory.

I suspect if we watch the disk I/O while scrolling through the data we would see the bump in I/O will come and go as we scrool through the data. (Just check using resource Monitor>>>Disk)

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(2,296 Views)

I would be very surprised if a VI only loads partially initially. I guess we have to wait for a blue guy to give the final word. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(2,293 Views)

The VI with the constant not being used translates into a virtual NOOP as far as the code goes. The THINGY that looks like an array constant can be just a visual placeholder to which we can attach nodes and once we do so the data becomes part of the as was illustrated by connecting an indicator to the array moved the data into the code.

Also not that the errors reported from trying larger VI impacted the file of the VI and pushed it to the limit.

I betcha Rolf would know (smiley-wink)

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(2,287 Views)

File sizes don't have a 32bit limit in general (maybe vi files do?). I wonder if the array size limits would be different on 64bit LabVIEW...

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(2,276 Views)
Solution
Accepted by altenbach

I didn't have time to read the myriad speculations as to this inconsistency, but here is why it is what it is:

The code that measures the size of the "Block Diagram Objects" is ignoring the "source code" copy of the constant array's value. This could rightly be called a bug, but I suspect the severity of it (which I personally rate as "low") makes it unlikely to be fixed. The mechanism that measures it is stupidly elegantly simple right now, and to make it correct would likely be more work than it is worth.

The "Data" measurement is accurate, and is small in the unmodified VI because the value of the constant is not used, and its existence is removed as "dead code" from the compiled VI's data space.

If you wire the constant to an output, you will see that the "Data" measurement goes up to a big number approximately equal to 500,000 bytes (250 rows * 250 cols * 8 bytes per double), or 489.2 K (where K=1024) bytes.

BTW, the "On Disk" measurement of this VI is smaller than the "Data" size because of compression.

Message 15 of 18
(2,238 Views)

@robdye wrote:

I didn't have time to read the myriad speculations as to this inconsistency, but here is why it is what it is:

The code that measures the size of the "Block Diagram Objects" is ignoring the "source code" copy of the constant array's value. This could rightly be called a bug, but I suspect the severity of it (which I personally rate as "low") makes it unlikely to be fixed. The mechanism that measures it is stupidly elegantly simple right now, and to make it correct would likely be more work than it is worth.

The "Data" measurement is accurate, and is small in the unmodified VI because the value of the constant is not used, and its existence is removed as "dead code" from the compiled VI's data space.

If you wire the constant to an output, you will see that the "Data" measurement goes up to a big number approximately equal to 500,000 bytes (250 rows * 250 cols * 8 bytes per double), or 489.2 K (where K=1024) bytes.

BTW, the "On Disk" measurement of this VI is smaller than the "Data" size because of compression.

Thank you Rob!

Christain,

Can we call that a solution to your origianl question?

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(2,212 Views)

Ben wrote: 

Can we call that a solution to your origianl question?

Just did! 🙂

It is always appreciated if somebody featured on the LabVIEW 1 splash screen gives the final answer. 😄 Thank you so much!

Message 17 of 18
(2,208 Views)

Thank you!

Spoiler

Now how about looking at post number 4, 9 and 13...

Hmmmmm?

Smiley Tongue

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(2,202 Views)