LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview interview tips

For those of you who have gone on or given an interview for a labview programming position, what kind of questions can someone expect?  Any suggestions for tips would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
CLAD
Brian
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(13,942 Views)

One of the better companies I worked for had a written test as part of my interview. Mostly associate developer-level stuff.

Another company simply asked "do you know LabVIEW"? I said "yes". That was it.

Both companies made offers. Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(13,912 Views)
One question I was asked during my last interview was whether I preferred to use a sequence structure or a state machine.  I answered that the state machine was the way to go, and that I hardly ever use sequence structures.  I got the job.  So be sure to brush up on architectures.  Learn what a state machine is and what producer-consumer architecture is.  You can expect general questions like "How would you go about setting up a test".  You probably won't get specific questions like how to code a sort function.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(13,877 Views)

Usually, a multiple choice written test on LabVIEW functions and code snippets would be the warm up! Smiley Wink

Subsequent interview sessions would depend on what kind of domain does that company work on.

So do a bit of check on what kind of projects does that company specialize in and anticipate questions on LabVIEW programming techniques, Functions and Tools pertaining to that domain

Hope this Helps,

Regards,

Dev

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(13,846 Views)

Thanks everyone for your tips.  I like to try to be prepared and avoid surprises.  I have been using various architectures and I am all most ready for the cld exam  just need to do the practice exams.

Brian

CLAD

Brian
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(13,806 Views)

Two mistakes that I made while interviewing for my current position.

1) LabVIEW is spelled "LabVIEW".

2) The Virtual Instruments developed in LabVIEW are "Vee-Eyes" and not "Vies".

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(13,786 Views)

Here it goes

1.Prepare a brief note of different types of NI hardware you used in all your projects.

2.have a basic idea about communication like RS 232,GPIB,CAN,etc

3.Comapre Labview versions and whats new in each version

4.Make yourself equip with whichever material you can read on NI site

Thats it!

Then ask for a bigggggggggggggggg money

hihiihihih

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(13,436 Views)

PaulG. wrote:

Another company simply asked "do you know LabVIEW"? I said "yes". That was it.

I can relate to that as well.  I was asked if I knew anything about LabVIEW and if I had actually used it...one of my freshmen level engineering classes talked about LabVIEW so I replied "yes".  The two engineers interviewing me were blown away by my simple, one answer response.

Go figure Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(13,416 Views)

Dear friends

I like labview interview tips very much.

Very useful for me.

Rgs

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(9,395 Views)

I had an interviewer ask me what a "vie" was, and at first I stared at him uncomprehending.  Then I finally said, "you mean a Vee-Eye?"  I'm not sure if that was part of the test, though.  😄

Bill

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(9,338 Views)