From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview interview tips

I was asked to interview someone once and when I received their resume I knew I was in for some fun. In a single page resume the person wrote LabView, labview, LABview and one or two other variations. They never used the correct selling. The resume tried to claim they were very knowledgeable in LabVIEW and after the first question I knew they had very limited exposure to it.

One piece of advise though is to always be honest in an interview. This is true for any subject matter, not just LabVIEW. I generally don't tell someone right away what my experiece is because I like to see if they are being honest about their experience. If they think I may not be very experienced it is easy to tell if someone is inflating their experience. Any good interviewer will know if you are trying to con them so it is best to just be honest.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(2,994 Views)

As a contractor/consultant I get interviewed often, and they range from fairly limited, when they apparently are sufficiently in awe of my experience Smiley Wink (or know that they don't know enough LabVIEW to be able to quiz  me), up to actually sitting down at a computer and working on code, as with my current project/customer. I second the comment about not inflating your ability, you can usually be caught by someone who is knowlegeable and it will show up pretty fast if you actually get the job.

As an earlier post said, brush up on the terminology, note down the types of instruments you may have used and the communications protocols they required. It is amazing how blank my mind goes when asked a simple question like that, and I interview sometimes three times a year.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(2,974 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

One of the better companies I worked for had a written test as part of my interview. Mostly associate developer-level stuff.

Another company simply asked "do you know LabVIEW"? I said "yes". That was it.

My experience was more along the lines of

"Do you know LabVIEW?"

"No, never heard of it, but I can learn it"

Been here for three years.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 13 of 16
(2,863 Views)

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(2,302 Views)

Thanks for your link. It's useful for our community.

Same material can be found at: Application engineer interview questions

I hope it's useful for you and you like it. Please continue sharing more information at this topic.

Best rgs!

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(2,245 Views)

I have also brought in code on a thumbdrive to show what I have programmed previously.  I would just make sure it is your own code that you are showing them.  Smiley Wink 

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(2,219 Views)