LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview execution speed

Hi everyone!

I am developing a PID on labview where I read 4 values from the arduino by serial port, and process one of these values into a PID.

My problem is: I think the VI is running or refresing every second, it's too slow! And I'd like it to run faster.

What should I do?

I attached the VI.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,382 Views)

Your VI is simply reading values that the Arduino spits out.

The speed is limited by the Wait for Multiple function, and the speed of the data coming from the Arduino.

So, increate the speed of the data coming form the Arduino.

Also, that's not really considered good programming. Wires are bended, sequence structures, duplicate code... You're making all the rooky mistakes. I hope you're doing some (free) courses while you're making this.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,325 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

duplicate code... You're making all the rooky mistakes. I hope you're doing some (free) courses while you're making this.

For example, the following could probably replaced by one single "scan from string". How does the incoming string look like?

altenbach_0-1614705550111.png

The way you are coding this is full of booby traps and completely unnecessary operations (e.g. replacing the period with a comma then scan it using the system decimal point seems pointless and dangerous because it makes assumptions about localization. 🐵

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(1,302 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

For example, the following could probably replaced by one single "scan from string". How does the incoming string look like?

Just as a direct replacement...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 10
(1,284 Views)

Yes, that's what I had in mind, but it will of course not solve the speed problem. 😉

(For an even simpler drop-in replacement, we can connect the various indicators directly to the scan outputs. No need to bundle. Still, the cluster is a good idea in general)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(1,278 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

(For an even simpler drop-in replacement, we can connect the various indicators directly to the scan outputs. No need to bundle. Still, the cluster is a good idea in general)

I started writing that code to act as a subVI.  Based on that, the cluster makes a lot more sense.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 10
(1,268 Views)

Thanks for answering!

Actually I was learning by my owm and couldn't take any course, sorry for the crepy programming.....sad!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,241 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

Just as a direct replacement...

Careful!

No, it's not an exact replacement!

The original solution works for inputs regardless the used separator. So both 1,5 and 1.5 get parsed correctly. The replacement fails when commas are used.

Not that you should depend on that, but I've seen this replacement go wrong in inherited projects. It's was direct consequence of not having a good strategy for decimal points.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,220 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:
The original solution works for inputs regardless the used separator. So both 1,5 and 1.5 get parsed correctly. The replacement fails when commas are used.

No, the instrument string is not localized and always has a period as decimal delimiter.

The original solution replaces all periods with comma and then parses it forcing a localized delimiter, which will not correctly work if the localization is a period. It will fail and drop all decimals in most parts of the world!

Tim's solution correctly parses the input irrespective of decimal delimiter localization. It will correctly work everywhere!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,198 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

No, the instrument string is not localized and always has a period as decimal delimiter.

The instrument string?

I missed the part where that strings comes from an instrument. It could be somewhere, I skimmed over most text.

EDIT: Ah, the Arduino... But that means custom code, which means anything goes. But probably '.''s are used, as OP replaces them. 

@altenbach wrote:
The original solution replaces all periods with comma and then parses it forcing a localized delimiter, which will not correctly work if the localization is a period. It will fail and drop all decimals in most parts of the world!

Ah, yes, my reasoning would have been correct if it was replacing ',' with '.', and then didn't use the system setting.

Still, be very careful with replacements like that. Better yet, avoid being in that situation.

@altenbach wrote:
Tim's solution correctly parses the input irrespective of decimal delimiter localization. 

Only if you're sure that the strings use '.' separators. Not sure how you can see that from the code.

Now of course one should make sure that at least a known separator is used. But with customers, you can't always make sure.

@altenbach wrote:
It will correctly work everywhere!

Not if the input uses ',' as separator.

Anyway, I'll find some other yaks to shave.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(1,193 Views)