LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

interface an Xbox 360 controller

Can any one tell me how you can use the Xbox360 controller in labview8? Is there already code for it somewhere? Ideally i want to use it as a school project and having it light up simple boolean lights when the button is pressed but i dont know how to get started. Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(11,789 Views)
I haven't done it but you'll first you need to get the Controller working in windows (I'm assuming your running windows).
I think you just plug it in and get drivers through windows update. Then check that it's working through the Game Controllers
menu in the Control Panel.

As for labview use the functions in Connectivity\Input Device Control in the function pallete.
"Query Input Devices" to find the index of the controller
"Initialize Joystick" with the index
then poll the device with "Acquire Input Data"
and "Close Input Device" when your finished.
Message 2 of 13
(11,772 Views)
Hi.

I do have an idea of some thing more complicated proj. If the method of connecting xbox controller is followed as above, CAN i connect the Logitech simulation racing steering wheel control (with clutch and pedals)? Using LV can i do an analog input when the user step on the pedal?

Do i need to do some extra interfacing to control the button inputs and etc.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(11,738 Views)

If the joystick/steering wheel is configured and works under Windows, it should work with LabVIEW.  Then again, the only way to know for sure is to try it.  I have connected a cheap $5 usb game pad before and used it in LabVIEW without problems.  You should look at some of the joystick examples in LabVIEW (Help->Find Examples) to find out more.

Regards,
Justin D

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(11,689 Views)

Hi

How did you get on with the Xbox 360 to LabVIEW interface? I’m just about to try this out myself but before I buy PC XBOX 360 Controller [1] I was wondering if you managed it or not?

Did the standard USB joystick vis work and if so how much functionality did they give you?

Did you develop your own interface if so would it be possible to get a copy?

Thanks for your help

[1] PC XBOX 360 Controller

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GC-000-MS&tool=3

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(11,373 Views)
Heres my project that i did for a college course using the Xbox remote. Its a pretty simple project all it does is light up indicators when the button is pressed.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(11,363 Views)
Maybe you posted the wrong VI? I cannot see any way this will work, the VI is broken (will not run), and the LED indicators are not actually wired up to the output of your Acquire Input data.
Message 7 of 13
(11,343 Views)
Sorry i have seemed to have deleted the final version of it. but thats the basic concept of how to use it. Ill see if i can find the final version. It shouldnt be too much different. Sorry about that
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(11,332 Views)

so.... there haven't been any comments on here in a few years, but I was looking for a way to interface a gamepad with Labview.  I have a Playstation 2/3 type USB gamepad and wanted to interface it with LabVIEW.  I read one of the above comments about "getting device index" and modified it.  I'm including a zip file with two VIs for those people still looking for a solution.  They should work, and they have a little instruction on the front panels.  Overall, the code was very easy to write and let me know if you have any questions.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(10,329 Views)

Thank you. Extremely valuable .vi's to this day!! 

Worked like a charm for my logitech PS2/3 style controllers. I connected 2 at once, and was able to experiment with 'activating/monitoring' each one seperately. I plan on using this with my High School students at our upcoming robotics group.

However, I am still struggling with getting Windows 7 to recognize my Xbox 360 style controllers (gamepad, and X-Plorer guitar). I'm able to get these to work on an XP laptop that I have...I also run Labview on that XP laptop, and look forward to trying your .vi's with the Xbox controllers there.

Since Win 7 doesn't have the Xbox controllers in the 'controllers' list, it appears that Labview can't 'see' them. Win 7 claims that no special drivers are required for the Xbox controllers....  has anyone had any luck in getting this worked out?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(9,450 Views)