From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

idea for two variable if statement - help

Hi,

First of all sorry for my English. I have two string variables in combo box or enum such as;

variable 1: "A","B","C","D" and variable 2: "A","B","C","D".

i want to write result of combinations of these variables on screen (as string) like;

if variable 1=A and variable 2=A then result=X,

if variable 1=A and variable 2=B then result=Y,

if variable 1=B and variable 2=C then result=T,

I tried to do it in case structure but i couldn't do it. string output is not possible In formula node. also i dont want to do it with formula node. Thanks for your help and messages.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,957 Views)

You can do something like concatenate the combo strings and use a case on the result. But it gets more unmanageable the more options you have for the two combos.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,951 Views)

Create an array lookup table and use your enums as the row/column index. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
Message 3 of 15
(3,932 Views)

can you upload example 1.vi at LAbview 16.0 version? thank you

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,905 Views)

is there a reason not to do it like this?

two_enums.png

As for formula node not outputting a string you could output the ASCII for the character and type cast to string outside the node. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,887 Views)

@Aputmans idea is great!

cross reference enums.PNG
/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 6 of 15
(3,881 Views)

the lookup-table and the nested case-structures are totally valid,

but i had some cases where i used something like the following to have less code repitition/more flexibility.

c1.png

which is equivalent to

c1-2.png

and for good measure this came also to mind:

c1-3.png

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,878 Views)

@jwscs wrote:

the lookup-table and the nested case-structures are totally valid,

but i had some cases where i used something like the following to have less code repitition/more flexibility.

c1.png

which is equivalent to

c1-2.png

and for good measure this came also to mind:

c1-3.png

I like the Look-up table approach myself. If working with a-z we have at worse a 26X26 matrix to populate.

Editing 600+ cases is not to my liking.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,853 Views)

if it is really only a value that is the output of that, but i thought more in the lines of actions taken, that will be encapsulated by the cases. anyways .. was just for the fun of it 😉

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
Message 9 of 15
(3,848 Views)

IMHO which method is best to use may also depend on how many distinct cases there are. The OP didn't give much to go on.

For a small number of distinct cases, using lists & ranges could be easier to manage. ex.

Case 1: "aa", "ab", "ac"
Case 2: "ba", "bf"
Case 3: "ca".."cz"
Case 4: Default

For a LUT, you would have to populate ALL the entries in the table regardless, and finding a typo in a 600+ LUT may be like trying to find Waldo.

BTW the second example by jwscs could be simplfied. Instead of using a logical shift, integer convertion, and addition it could be done like this

using join numbers.png

Message 10 of 15
(3,831 Views)