cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fixed point math with shift register on FPGA

Solved!
Go to solution

This would be easy, but it's on FPGA.

I would essentially like to do what is shown, but with Fixed Point data. I also need my output from the add function to be <+,32,0> because it is going into a sine wave generation VI as the frequency. Basically I just want the frequency to slowly increase by "step size" at some predefined rate. Is it possible to do this? There must be some way I can do number to boolean array then boolean array to number, do some bitwise manipulation and convert back to the fixed point type I want. But, I can't figure it out. I have also read some of the fixed point articles on NI.com but with no luck getting it to work. Frankly, fixed-point math still eludes me.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,718 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GregFreeman

Ah, what the method of trial and error will do for you.

This seems to work.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,712 Views)

You can also configure the output of the Add function by right-clicking and specifying the output type.  LabVIEW automatically changes the output to a double to account for overflow of the fixed-point value, but you can override this and you will see a blue dot at the output to notify you that the output configuration has been coerced, similar to the red input coercion dot.

FxpConfig.Png

Donovan
Message 3 of 4
(3,703 Views)

@Donovan B wrote:

You can also configure the output of the Add function by right-clicking and specifying the output type.  LabVIEW automatically changes the output to a double to account for overflow of the fixed-point value, but you can override this and you will see a blue dot at the output to notify you that the output configuration has been coerced, similar to the red input coercion dot.

That sure is cleaner!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,701 Views)