From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

executable autostart / autorun

I have a quick an easy question dealing with building LV executables. Everytime I build an executable, it wants to run as soon as I open the .exe file. I would like for you to be able to open the application and have the chance to input certain data before running the VI. Instead, it runs immediately and you have to stop it to put your info in. I'm sure there is just an easy option to select when your building the .exe, but I haven't been able to find it. I found the "Source File Settings" and unselected the "Run when opened", but that doesn't seem to do what I thought it did. I've tried this with numerous programs, but all with the same result. I've attached a picture of my build window.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,118 Views)

We have also found great difficulty building executables as far as the "settings" is concerned. None of the features work on LabView 8 and 8.2. These features seem to be broken, as they used to work in LabView 6.1 N.I. has not addressed the problem as far as we know...

If anybody knows how to make these features work again, please fill us in!!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,072 Views)
I think the bug was fixed in 8.2.1 but an exe should be set to run when opened. I have noever built an executable that required the user to click on the run button on the toolbar. For that matter, I've never had an executable that showed the toolbar. The application should be designed with an event structure or even a separate while loop that runs before the main body of code. A button called 'Execute' or 'Run' could be added. When this is clicked, then the main body of the VI should execute, giving the user the ability to enter any values necessary.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,064 Views)
I haven't tried LabView 8.2.1 yet, but I've heard the problem is not fixed. The Run or Execute button fix would work fine if the only problem was Run on start-up. That would allow the user to enter whatever was needed and then run the main body. Perfect Fix. The problem is that the other features don't seem to work either. Take for example, "Show Scroll Bars" or "Show Abort Button" features. Neither of these features works in the new builder. The ability to control how the executable looks and operates i.e. maximized, centered etc is not controlable as it once was.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,060 Views)
Crap. I was hoping there was an easy fix / explaination for this. I guess I'll try to do the whole while loop thing until the software gets fixed.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,053 Views)
The software is fixed. I just built an exe with 8.2.1, changed the source file settings to not run when opened and the exe did not run when opened. I also changed the setting to display the scroll bars and that worked as well.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,050 Views)
Hmmm....Maybe I just have 8.2 then. Is there a way to just do a normal update or does it require a new license subscription
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(6,046 Views)

If you have SSP, the update is automatic. If you have SSP, you should be getting 8.5 very soon.Smiley Very Happy

I don't know what happens without SSP. You should contact your sales engineer or NI directly.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(6,040 Views)
1. What is SSP?

2. How do I know if I have it?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(6,035 Views)
SSP is Software Subscription Program. The price of a LabVIEW license includes 1 year of service, I believe. You then have to pay a yearly fee to maintain the SSP. If you have SSP, you get a separate package in the main (at least that is what just happened to me). I have no idea if there is a way to check your status on-line. Are you the one who ordered LabVIEW and registered it? If not, then check with the person who did, or as I mentioned, contact your sales engineer or NI.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(6,018 Views)