LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error 8 while saving a new vi through invoke node

Solved!
Go to solution

I generate a vi through scripting based on a bunch of inputs through the AutoCreateVI in my project. The vi gets generated correctly but I have trouble saving it via the invoke node save instrument function. I close the front panel of the generated vi before I save it but that does not address the error status. I am able to save the vi manually though the file menu of the generated vi, so I do not think it is a permission issue on windows.

You can run the integration_scratch vi to observe the issue. You will have to open the create_userform subvi while the testbench is running, select a few bits, click the load button, add a name and click create. Ensure the 2 excel file address' are entered in the input FileVI tabs. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,202 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rohith2

@rohith2 wrote:

I generate a vi through scripting based on a bunch of inputs through the AutoCreateVI in my project. The vi gets generated correctly but I have trouble saving it via the invoke node save instrument function. I close the front panel of the generated vi before I save it but that does not address the error status. I am able to save the vi manually though the file menu of the generated vi,

Which unloads the VI from memory...how would you save something that is not in memory?  I BELIEVE that "Path to saved file" needs the vi.name to save it  It probably should be "VI File Name" indicating that the path and name are required. (which would be consistent with the usage for the "Save As" case and explain why it returns a permission error when saving it as if it were a folder)  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,165 Views)

Thank you, It was the missing file name. I had named the vi when I was generating it and assumed the Vi name gets appended to the path. I tried the close vi before saving because I was encountering the error 8. Somewhere in the labview help, it was mentioned that if the vi was open there could be an error generated. I guess that only applies for vi's that are already saved in memory and not for new vi's.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,148 Views)

We all have days like that...glad I could help 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,131 Views)