Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

editable label for created VI

If you are trying to set the title in the VI itself, all you need is this:

VI title.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(1,140 Views)

It is now time for you to post images of your code or sample code so we can help out. I am still not sure if you want to change the name at teh top of teh FP window when running (my suggestion above) or if you want to change the name of the VI as it appears in the block diagram.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(1,139 Views)

Below shows what I mean, editing a label of my own created VI, a different label each time a new instance is used.

editable label.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(1,137 Views)

Can't be done (yet). Rumour has it that binding free labels with objects will be coming in a future release.

"Stay tuned Bat-fans!"*

Ben

* Back in about 1969 there was a half hour TV show called Batman and the anouncer always end the show withthat line.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(1,135 Views)

Well I'll be darned!

I was going to suggest that you could use text comments rather than the sub.vi label and "group" the comment with the sub.vi BUT, I just learned you cannot "group" block diagram objects.   AND while you can set a description you cannot use a tip strip!  The description can vary from call to call (ah-ha) but can only be displayed by right-click>Description and tip, and then the pop-up blocks the diagram.

I would still favor using free text comments but you will need to manually maintain the proximity to the sub.vi calls.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(1,134 Views)
true, I am already using free texts Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(1,129 Views)
What is the point of changing the name of the VI on the block diagram. Is there a practical use for this? To me, it would imply that a different subVI is being used and that would just confuse me if I was looking at the block diagram.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(1,124 Views)

Dennis Knutson wrote:
What is the point of changing the name of the VI on the block diagram. Is there a practical use for this? To me, it would imply that a different subVI is being used and that would just confuse me if I was looking at the block diagram.

I see it a as a "poor man's" approach to binding a free label with a diagram object so they move together when re-arranging the diagram.

Chill, it's coming. 

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(1,121 Views)
Then why is the label editable on the standard VIs !? Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(1,116 Views)

Siamak wrote:
Then why is the label editable on the standard VIs !? Smiley Wink

"why" questions can only be answered by those sitting in the room when the decision was made.

I asked Jeff K. (the Father of LabVIEW) "why can't you create a block diagram constant of a waveform data type?"

He said "I don't know. It was probably an over-sight."

I got my WF block diagram constant in the next release of LV.

I suspect (wink-wing nudge nudge) that the situation may be similar for you.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(1,113 Views)