From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dialog with no user interaction

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I would like to use the one button dialog that would just showing a message without requiring any user interaction.  With the dialog, I only want to display a message for the user. I want the program to continue running without needing user interaction.  I just want to let the user know that something happened.  I don't need to user to do anything.  How do I do that? 

Yik

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,485 Views)

You need to call the dialog-VI in a different thread(while-loop) than your main application.

One way of doing this is using a queue. Add the dialog text to the queue in you main thread.

De-queue the dialog text in your second thread and call the dialog-VI with the text you have just de-queued.

This solution is done using a producer-consumer architecture.

See the link below.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3023

The dialog will pop but the main program will keep running.

Good luck Smiley Happy

Bjarke Dahl-Madsen - CLA,CLED
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,475 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jyang72211

A more common approach is to use a "Status log" (just a string on the UI that gives the user some idea what is going on.)

Here is a construct I often use (place the control "Status" on the UI, Add a control to the referance to "Status" wire the Connector pane.)  This type of action engine (see Ben's excellant nugget) lets you send update messages to the user from anywhere in the application instance space without leaving pop-ups all over the screen.

Status.png

And should you wish, you can add cases to Show, blink, unblink, highlight, move or Hide the indicator so it peeks out and dancesSmiley Very Happy

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 3 of 9
(4,467 Views)

Or...

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,465 Views)

Everything when a condition is met, I want a pop up to appear, so multiple pop up maybe needed.  After the pop up appear, I want the program to finish running while leaving the pop up on the screen.  I don't want the program to keep up with the pop up.  I want the program to create pop up and leave behind (on the screen).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,416 Views)

That's a create approach, but I do want pop up all over the screen.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,415 Views)

The easiest method is to use the Status Log described by Jeff Bohrer, but if you insist on having multiple windows popping up, you will need to create a separate VI for each status dialog box that you want to display then use the VI Server to run each VI at the specified time.  You will just need to ensure that a False constant is wired to the "Wait Until Done" input of the Run VI invoke node.  J-M's post above shows how to call a VI remotely. 

Zach C.
Field Engineer
Greater Los Angeles

Message 7 of 9
(4,396 Views)

You could utilize a template (VIT).

Download All
Message 8 of 9
(4,387 Views)

@J-M wrote:

You could utilize a template (VIT).

This is a perfect application of a template.  Good call.

Zach C.
Field Engineer
Greater Los Angeles

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,383 Views)