From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

default setting of ini file entry?

Solved!
Go to solution

What, in v2011, is the default setting of the AllowMultipleInstances value of the ini file? I know that it isn't a normally included field in the ini file generated when an exe is built, I'm just wondering what the value is by default? I've added it to the ini file, set to False, on a machine I'm trying to troubleshoot which has a program launch so slow that the operators frequently go back and try and launch it again, which results in two instances, only one of which is correctly running.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,045 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LV_Pro

Testing with any simple program it appears that the default value is false as usual.

Maybe your executable is so heavy during load time that it's not "recognizable" by a later instance for a long time?

In this case you may write a light stub program to be launched by the user instead of the main one.

The stub should run the main via a cmd file or SystemExec; it would allow to give a prompt feedback to the user; it should stay up for enough time to let the main appear, then shutdown itself.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
Message 2 of 4
(2,025 Views)

@pincpanter wrote:

...it appears that the default value is false...

I can concur that this appears to be the case for a simple executable.

Maybe when the executable loads a large number of VIs before beginning execution it doesn't register itself with whatever service needs to know until it is actually executing, and if the executable is double-clicked again before this point it may be able to launch a second instance.

This is harder to test without creating a substantial executable.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Message 3 of 4
(2,016 Views)

As I thought, regarding the default, just wanted someone not on one of our development machines to take a look. Thanks, to both of you. That may be what we have to do, a launcher that looks for any instance of the exe running before launching another. Thank You.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,992 Views)