LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create shortcut to word file

In my code, I am setting my target path to be: 

C:\WINDOWS\system32\java.exe -jar C:\MyApp\MyExe.exe

I am trying to do what I believe is called 'setting a PATH variable', to designate that the program will be running a jar file from java.  When the shortcut is created, the Target Path in the shortcut results in:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\java.exe -jar C:\MyApp\MyExe.exe"

and WinXP says that it doesn't recognize the path, and the shortcut doesn't work.  If, however, in the shortcut, I remove the leading ", so that it looks like:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\java.exe -jar C:\MyApp\MyExe.exe"

the shortcut will work just fine.

How can I use your method to modify my Target Path in my code so that the resulting Target in the shortcut will be:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\java.exe -jar C:\MyApp\MyExe.exe" or  C:\WINDOWS\system32\java.exe -jar C:\MyApp\MyExe.exe

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(857 Views)

You are executing "java.exe" with the arguments "-jar C:\MyApp\MyExe.exe".

Did you try just having C:\WINDOWS\system32\java.exe in the TargetPath

and then adding -jar C:\MyApp\MyExe.exe as the first element in the Arguments array?

To make it work with variations of the windows operating system you should define the target path as %SystemRoot%\system32\java.exe

That way it will find the system path regardless of which drive letter is the system root and if it is C:\Windows or C:\WINNT etc.

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(844 Views)

Yes.  I had thought of putting C:\WINDOWS\system32\java.exe in the TargetPath and then adding -jar C:\MyApp\MyExe.exe as the first element in the Arguments array right after my recent post, and it seems to work.

I will try using the %SystemRoot%\system32\java.exe as well.

Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(841 Views)

07/26/2021 - kudos to Troy Kujawski
I just used this as I needed a programmatically generated shortcut on my windows 10 desktop.
This method works still!

I used the "Get System Directory" VI to push in the proper windows 10 desktop path for my user into the desktop path and this worked perfectly!

Message 14 of 15
(470 Views)

Thanks Troy!

This still works fine in Windows 11.

Just in case anyone else comes across it.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(65 Views)