LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

converting .vi to an executable

Hello,

I'm a little new to LabVIEW and programming in general.

I've written my first LabVIEW program ( single VI-Lab View 2015) controlling instrumentation.

I now want to be able to run this single .vi as an executable.

After I do this -be able to run this program on an independent computer that only has national instruments max Explorer with the driver GPIB-USB-HS?

So if the answer to the previous question is yes, then could somebody give me the step-by-step procedure to convert my single VI to the executable?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,195 Views)

You need to do this.

Example.png

You will be prompted to make a project. Don't forget you will need the runtime engine to run this exe on a different computer. That is an additional program for NI Max.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,180 Views)

Note, the application builder is a separate purchase from just the core LabVIEW; follow this link if you don't have it installed.

https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/select/labview-application-builder-module

Also, after you build an executable, i'd recommend you build an installer.  This will allow you to include the drivers with the executable.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,147 Views)

thank you very much for the reply,

I'd like to ask one or two more basic questions because I'm still a little bit confused..

I was under the hopeful impression that I could convert a LabVIEW VI into an executable run only standalone program,

without purchasing the LabVIEW runtime engine?

Any clarification of this would be very helpful, thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(2,746 Views)

@chrlum47 wrote:

thank you very much for the reply,

I'd like to ask one or two more basic questions because I'm still a little bit confused..

I was under the hopeful impression that I could convert a LabVIEW VI into an executable run only standalone program,

without purchasing the LabVIEW runtime engine?

Any clarification of this would be very helpful, thank you.

You need to purchase (or have) the Application Builder Addon to make an exe and installer. The LabVIEW Runtime Engine is free to distribute, but somewhat useless without a LabVIEW app.

mcduff

Message 5 of 13
(2,740 Views)

okay.. I get it now thank you very much for your help

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(2,734 Views)

Your development machine already has the run-time engine installed, so if you build an installer from your exe, you can include both the run-time engine and the drivers you need (simplifies putting your app on new machines).  You can also include other things, like documentation to go with your app.

Message 7 of 13
(2,728 Views)

thank you

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,711 Views)

Once again thank you for your help,

Next line of questioning- so I'm able to create a run time version of my program and I am able to download and install the 2015 LabVIEW runtime engine. This is all going on on the same computer that I have the developmental version of LabVIEW.

What I haven't been able to clearly see  is how to do this on the run time only program with a computer that doesn't have the developmental version of LabVIEW on it?

On the second computer I have installed a couple versions of the runtime engine in order to match the executable version that I'm trying to run.

I

I get the error can't find the runtime engine when I tried to click on the executable.

So a little more detail on exactly how to run an executable from a computer that doesn't have LabVIEW developmental version.

Thank you

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,640 Views)

as previously mentioned you should build an installer for your application.  In the "additional installers" section, make sure the run-time engine is selected.  If your deployment machine still gives you errors after you run the installer, there is a chance one of the other run-time engine has a corrupted file.  clean the computer of all NI software and re-run your installer.

pjroland1121_0-1580489594107.png

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,633 Views)