From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

converting labview to c++

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there,

I'm no expert in computer programming. Thus, I chose LabView over another other languages. But I just ran into another problem here. The instrument that I'm using takes only c++ codes, not LabView. 

Is there any way I can convert the VIs that I have written into c++ codes, so that my instrument will understand the LabView programs?

Thanks in advance,

Pui 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(8,037 Views)

No, there is no way to convert LabVIEW code.

Your statement about an 'instrument' only taking c++ is confusing me. Instruments typically don't take any type of programming language - neither LabVIEW or c++. What exactly are you trying to communicate with? What type of connection is there beween the pc and the instrument?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(8,033 Views)

Subaru wrote:

The instrument that I'm using takes only c++ codes, not LabView.

I don't understand what this means. Can you explain in more detail? Are you referring to copying DLLs to the instrument?

Is there any way I can convert the VIs that I have written into c++ codes, so that my instrument will understand the LabView programs?

In a word, no. There is a LabVIEW Microprocessor SDK which targets microprocessors, so that sort of does something like that, but it's limited in terms of supported functions, and it costs a cool $12,000.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(8,028 Views)

Thanks for the quick replies!!! 

I'm sorry for the confusion. I am using an atomic force microscope. In the software that came with the instrument, there is an option that the user can compose a program in c++ scripts, which the instrument software can understand. I believe that somehow the c++ scripts will be saved in .DLL format. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(8,023 Views)

That is completely different than the 'instrument only takes c++ code'. It is of no consequence the way you write a program to communicate to an instrument. Just because the vendor provides an example in c++ does not mean that you have to use c++. What you have to do is send the same commands to the instrument that the c++ program does. Heck, if we were forced to use the same language as a provided example, we'd still all be using Basic for Agilent equipment.

So, get a list of the commands that the  microscope supports and start writing the code with LabVIEW.

Message 5 of 14
(8,011 Views)

I am using an atomic force microscope.

That's just sounds way cool. I think the name is awesome. Is it like nuclear powered? Smiley Very Happy

OK, back to your query. If that's what the instrument uses, then you can't use LabVIEW for that. You will need to use the method that the instrument requires. I suspect it's C++-like, rather than C++, since C++ is not a scripting language. Perhaps the manufacturer provides suggested development environments for writing these scripts.

Message 6 of 14
(8,009 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:

I am using an atomic force microscope.

That's just sounds way cool. I think the name is awesome. Is it like nuclear powered? Smiley Very Happy

OK, back to your query. If that's what the instrument uses, then you can't use LabVIEW for that. You will need to use the method that the instrument requires. I suspect it's C++-like, rather than C++, since C++ is not a scripting language. Perhaps the manufacturer provides suggested development environments for writing these scripts.

Well, I guess I'm still confused. I assumed the c++ code was to run on the pc. 

We probably need some more information. An electronic copy of the manual would help or an electronic copy of whatever document that describes this c++ code.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(8,003 Views)

Thanks guys!!

Need to understand more. Feel stupid to ask questions like this. 🙂

Message Edited by Subaru on 04-15-2009 11:38 AM
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(8,000 Views)

Alright, Let me try again.

I have attached some the couple of pages of the manual that I was given. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(7,990 Views)
one more page to look at. 
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(7,985 Views)