LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

supporting multiple versions of labview

What is the best practices for multiple version (LabVIEW Version NOT Code versioning) of Labview with lots of projects.  The issue I have is that I have LV from 6.1-8.6 is every flavor.  By default a project (or vi) will open in the last version of labview that I have used.  If The last version is a newer version the the code was developed in I run the risk of upgrading the project by mistake.  Is there a method for specifying that launching a project in the last version the project was saved in.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,479 Views)

falkpl wrote:

Is there a method for specifying that launching a project in the last version the project was saved in.

Not really, as this is controlled by the operating system. On Windows, for example, if you have multiple versions of LabVIEW then when you open a VI Windows will launch the last version of LabVIEW that was run. This questions has come up many times before, so I suggest you do a search to find what others have suggested. One key suggestion is to have a versioning control system that will prevent you from saving VIs unless you check them out, and you have to consciously do this (assuming you launch LabVIEW first). The versioning control system will also allow you to revert in case you accidentally save a VI in a newer version of LabVIEW. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,473 Views)
it would be nice if Labview was nice enough to have linked the version to labview in some way, or at least warn when an older version of labview was used to last save the vi/project (newer is not an issue since new code does not open in older versions).  Version control does help here but it has some learning curve to get used to. 
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,450 Views)

falkpl wrote:

What is the best practices for multiple version (LabVIEW Version NOT Code versioning) of Labview with lots of projects.  The issue I have is that I have LV from 6.1-8.6 is every flavor.  By default a project (or vi) will open in the last version of labview that I have used.  If The last version is a newer version the the code was developed in I run the risk of upgrading the project by mistake.  Is there a method for specifying that launching a project in the last version the project was saved in.

Hi Paul,

The only help I can offer is that in one of Darren's Nugget Threads this topic came up and Darren suggested a solution. Everyone sang and danced "and there was great rejoicing"....

but...

I think some posted back latter that the solution no longer works and I lost interest and stopped follwing that thread.

So search back through Darren's Nuggets if you want to see if that solution (whatever it was!) will help you.

As always, just trying to help,

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,444 Views)

Ben, are you referring to this nugget: Darren's Weekly Nugget 09/05/2006?

Another popular option: multiple boots, or virtual machines.  See the last 2 messages in this thread for a couple of other suggestions. Like I said, seek and ye shall find...

Message 5 of 5
(2,425 Views)