LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

compile worker cannot perform compilation, local compiler

I'm Getting an error now that the compile worker cannot perform the compilation when I am trying to run a FPGA program on my cRIO. Here are the events that lead up to this point

1. I made a change to a value in my FPGA program which was running correctly, and tried to compile the FPGA program again.

2. I received a warning that the compile might fail because one or more parts of the FPGA were at capacity

3. I received a internal software error, and kept receiving similar errors for several tries.

4. I restarted the computer and the cRIO

5. Now I only receive the following message

"the compile worker cannot perform the compilation. The compile worker may be configured incorrectly for this compilation or it may be in an error state."

Like I said, I am confused because all I did was change a default value  in the front panel, which seems to have set off a serious problem somewhere.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,226 Views)

Have you ever successfully compiled this target on this computer before?

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,223 Views)

Yes. The computer and target are the same I have been using for the past few years. I've never had this problem before

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,210 Views)

If you restore the source to the original Default Value (the one that previously compiled OK), does it now work again?  If "yes", you've found the equivalence of a "Curse" card (story at the bottom), an "innocent" change that triggers a hidden flaw, and NI should be notified.  If "no", then something has "broken" in either your hardware (the FPGA processor or memory?) or software (have you tried an uninstall/reinstall cycle) ...

Are you developing in Windows 10?  Did it just upgrade itself to a new Version?

Bob Schor

P.S.  Many years ago, in the days of Punched Cards and Fortran, a colleague was running a big analysis routine on X-ray crystallography data.  Buried in her stack of cards was a card that said "Curse = <some pretty long formula with about 60 characters and several levels of parentheses>".  When the deck was put through the card reader, it would stop about three to five cards after this card.  I happened to be waiting to run my deck when she was trying to run hers, so we looked at her deck together.  I noticed that one of the last cards successfully read was the "Curse" card, so I joked that she had "cursed" her deck.  We examined the code, determined that it was a legal expression, but then replaced that card with two more cards, one that computed a simpler expression using some of the parentheses, then a simplified Curse card using the just-compiled variable.  Success!

Sadly, while I kept a copy of that card, I think it was discarded two or three moves ago ...

Message 4 of 16
(3,143 Views)

@johnmadura wrote:

Yes. The computer and target are the same I have been using for the past few years.

Did anything change on "the computer"? (e.g. an upgrade to windows 10, presence of different other software (e.g. AV), change in policies, HD errors, malware, etc.)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,137 Views)

If the computer was updated to Windows 10 and you were compiling locally, this could cause issues as the compile tools are not compatible with Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,113 Views)

The computer is not running windows 10, but an earlier windows.

I guess I'll try the uninstall and reinstall process on the cRion first. I've never had to do this, where can I find instructions on this?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,094 Views)

If I understood correctly you have errors during compile. Then reinstalling the cRIO software will not help. The target is not involved during the compile process. You can compile the bitfile without a target connected.

I'd rather revert the change you did to the FPGA code and see if it compiles again.

Also, did you try cloud compile service on NI machines?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,088 Views)

I tried To revert back to the original Value. I received the same errors. I have attached the series of screen shots that happen when I run the compilation. Internet connectivity is limited where I am working, so compiling on the cloud may not be possible.

I uploaded the screen shots in the order in which they appear.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,077 Views)

I would suggest reinstalling the Xilinx compilation tools if you're not able to run test with the cloud compiler. The screenshots point to an issue with the compiler and reinstalling might resolve the error you're seeing.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,039 Views)