LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bug! duplicating conditional tunnels in loops

Solved!
Go to solution

I wonder if this one has been reported already. It is serious enough, leads to immediate crashes, and I now found it in all versions from 2012 to 2017, under linux and windows.

It goes like this: start from a loop (while or for) with a conditional tunnel like this one, whatever data:

loopbugprima.png

Now select the tunnel and all what is connected to it:

iniziaduplicare.png

Drag it downwards, holding Ctrl, to duplicate it. This is the result:

duplicando.png

Notice that the new tunnel is looong. Removing the selection you realize that this tunnel cannot be grabbed, and that there are wires going nowhere.

At this point the VI is well screwed up. You can try to save it, you can try create a snippet of this result, you can press on the run arrow - they all cause an immediate SiGSEGV.

Can some PTB check if there is already a CAR for this, or escalate?

Message 1 of 4
(2,341 Views)

Confirmed on 2012.  Labview crashes when saving.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,296 Views)

@Enrico_Segre wrote:

I wonder if this one has been reported already. It is serious enough, leads to immediate crashes, and I now found it in all versions from 2012 to 2017, under linux and windows.

It goes like this: start from a loop (while or for) with a conditional tunnel like this one, whatever data:

loopbugprima.png

Now select the tunnel and all what is connected to it:

iniziaduplicare.png

Drag it downwards, holding Ctrl, to duplicate it. This is the result:

duplicando.png

Notice that the new tunnel is looong. Removing the selection you realize that this tunnel cannot be grabbed, and that there are wires going nowhere.

At this point the VI is well screwed up. You can try to save it, you can try create a snippet of this result, you can press on the run arrow - they all cause an immediate SiGSEGV.

Can some PTB check if there is already a CAR for this, or escalate?

Fortunately you can ctrl+Z out of it.  BUT if you think you got rid of the issue by deleting the offending code - it seems that the elongated tunnel is a redraw artifact and will go away if you resize the FOR loop structure - you're in for a rude surprise when next you try to run or save it.  Like maybe after you've done some significant coding.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,291 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Enrico_Segre

I remember someone showing me this behavior pretty recently when they were in the process of filing the CAR. 

CAR 654727 for anyone interested.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 4 of 4
(2,266 Views)