LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can not create text file in fpga mode

Solved!
Go to solution

I spent whole day to solve this issue so someone please help me!

I have two types of data to record, displacement, and time. I looked up NI EXAMPLE FINDER and copied the format to create text file. but the file dialog doesn't pop up. So i thought i did something wrong with the dialog function but when i just copy the first part of my code, the dialog pops up. Can anyone check my host vi and tell me what's wrong? i uploaded the target vi as well.

I use crio 9074 and the vi's are done in fpga mode.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,204 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ultrafrog

Hi Ultrafrog,

Are the vis RT vi or FPGA vi?

In FPGA you cannot have file I/O. But you should be able to do this in RT. From your vi it seems you are trying to implement it on FPGA.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,186 Views)

"done in fpga mode"?

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,176 Views)

I'm trying to control my crio 9074. I thought it's both RT and fpga mode. I read the description on web that i can use either fpga mode and scan mode interfaces. The project is created by fpga wizard.

So i can not create text file? But i want to record my data. What other options do I have?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,151 Views)

I have both RT and fpga module installed. the project is created by fpga wizard on "Getting Started" window.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,146 Views)

Sorry I clicked found solution button by mistake

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,142 Views)

Regarding your project can you tell me what exactly are you trying to implement and how? What part are you trying to implement on RT and what on FPGA? Where do you want to implement file I/O?

Well I think you need to go through FPGA and RT tutorial.

I would also recommend you to check with your local NI office about next RT & FPGA training. That will definitely help you a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,080 Views)

I am trying to get position data from my quadrature counter and time from tick counter. In host VI, i want to output text file which lists time and corresponding positions. I didn't really understand the rest of your questions. I don't know the difference between RT and FPGA. Does FPGA means my compactrio? and RT means my host pc? If that's the case, I want to count the quadratures from my optical encoder and calculate position in compactrio and sample the position data and time data by my host pc.

I guess i should start reading the tutorial. But could you tell me how I have to fix the code to output text file? There is nothing much in the project file. the project is created by FPGA wizard and just those two vi's are added.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,073 Views)

Ultrafrog,

A CompactRIO is composed of two subsystems: a Real-time Operating System and the FPGA. So within every CompactRIO you can program for both. I would recommend implementing the quadrature encoder calculations on the FPGA and handling the File I/O and networking in Real-time. It does not cover the File I/O or networking but this example will send you the right direction. Hope this helps!

Regards,

Ben J.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,002 Views)