From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[bug] ctrl-click-drag with scroll

Solved!
Go to solution

LabVIEW 2016 (32-bit) on Windows 7 (64-bit)

When I ctrl-click an object to copy it and drag to a position outside the visible area (causing the BD or front panel to scroll), many copies of the object are copied on top of the original.  In the attached images, I (1) created a for loop, (2) ctrl-clicked the object and dragged it to the side to a point not on the previously visible BD, and (3) went back to the first object to find multiple copies on top (moving them away to see how many were created).  It does the same on front panel objects. Anyone able to replicate?

Download All
Message 1 of 8
(3,153 Views)

Confirmed.  I was able to replicate with LV 2016.  I did not see this happen in LV 2014.

I would consider this a very serious bug as they is no indication that there are extra copies there since they are sitting dead on top.

One more interesting thing.  I tried connecting a wire to the N terminal of those overlaid For Loops.  It gave me a dialog that said. "You have attempted to connect a wire to a floating object, which LabVIEW does not allow."  I've never seen a message like that before, and have no idea how I would cause something like that to happen if I wanted to.

Since control dragging is something I do quite frequently, and certainly to put something off the edge to try to replicate another loop, there is no way I can use LV 2016 at the moment for any real code development.  This is something that needs to be fixed by an F patch, not just waiting for SP1 or LV 2017.

Message 2 of 8
(3,139 Views)

RF, Interesting.  I couldn't figure out how to even force that kind of error

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,098 Views)

Holy cow!!!  This used to be just a graphics artifacting where you would have "ghost" images on your BD until you scrolled them off the screen... but now they are REAL???

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,073 Views)

Bug has been fixed in LV 2017 beta

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 5 of 8
(3,070 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mancho00

I thought I had seen this come up previously in the forums around the time of 2016 release although there were a lot of problems brought up with the live update feature around the time so I may be thinking of something else. I couldn't find any related forum but CAR 606365 was filed around the September time frame which addresses this issue.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,062 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mancho00

Update:

This appears to have been fixed in the f2 patch of 2016.

LabVIEW 2016 Patch Details

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,982 Views)

Just ran the update.  Fixed it for me.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,963 Views)