LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatic update on application

Hi,

Any news on this topic?

I'm facing the quite the same situation: I need to be able to update an application from an USB key. I also must be able to revert a modification.

So far what I want to do is basically to have an UPDATER program running at startup. The UPDATER will do the following:

1) Check if a USB key is plugged

2) If yes, check if an update package is present on the USB key

3) if yes, copy the update package to a new location on the harddrive

4) Update a .ini file containing all the path to every version of my software.

5) read the ini file and launch the last version of my main software.

I think that the "update package" could be a .zip file with a password.

What do you guys think?

Regards,

peper

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 26
(2,306 Views)

Blue_Strike,

Have you tried implementing the described method in previous posts? Also, can you be more specific on what type of example you are looking for?

Cameron T
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 26
(2,275 Views)

Hello Cameron,

No I didn't tryed anything yet for now. I'm just "styding" how can I do such a thing.

I developed an application V1.0, later I will update this code V1.1 and later V1.2, ... etc.

Each time, I have to copy the new application to update it's install for more then 10 persons / PC.

So I was looking for a new manner to update all versions in all PC automatically.

PS : all PCs are connected to the same local network. And I have an FTP server.

I think that I need to develop an UPDATOR application, and I was wondering if there is an example for such thing.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 26
(2,256 Views)

Hello!

I am building a new application I want to auto-update it.

I build a project with an UPDATER.exe and an APPLICATION.exe .

It works fine but I want to simplify it and just have one executable.

I don't know how to do this but do you have an idea?

I think I can

- launch on the updater vi 

- check updates on internet

- download updated version

- delete all the folders and files linked to the Application (not the ones linked to the uploader and the .exe)

- replace it by new folders and files of the new version

- change properties of the exe file to have the good version indicated on the windows exe properties.

thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 26
(1,823 Views)

Hello ganquetil,  

Working for Aldeb ? 

Well, you can merge the both applications i guess. I'm not using LabVIEW since two years now, I'm on LabWindonws/CVI ! So I can not provide an example for you sorry. 

But the idea is that you check update on the internet when you launch you application. And then you compare the internet software version with the PC local version. If an update is availble, you download all files and you start the installer, then you leave.  

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 26
(1,815 Views)

Hello,

No I don't work for Aldeb...

I think there is a problem with your idea because I want to autoupdte the application,so I don't want to launch an instaler because I don't want the user to validate the software update...

That's why I think I need to change programmatically the properties of my executable to update the version number once the update installed...

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 26
(1,811 Views)

ah Okay, no installer, so the best thing to do is once you download the new internet version, you set up a flag "install locally availble" and you leave. 

User will need to re-open the app, so you need to check this flag each time : if it is up, that means that you already dowloaded a new version. then you finish the job (copy files). 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 26
(1,804 Views)

I agree but the problem if we only do this is that the version displayed on the windows list of pograms won't be the good one...

That's why I want to modify it programmatically... That's the only way in my point of view if we want only have one executable. 

DO you know how do they do for the applications we have on our smartphones?! or excel, word,...?

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 26
(1,797 Views)

it depends on the OS.

Like Android App, you just need to replace the APK file.

On Windows OS, You need to replace the EXE file and you might need to update the version on the register too (regedit) automatically of course. 

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 26
(1,793 Views)

Hello, 

Have you considered trying BLT for LabVIEW.

It seems this solution can achieve what you want out of the box

Take a look at http://BLTforLabVIEW.com for all the features and http://help.studiobods.com/bltforlabview for the documentation.

Regards,

Matthias Baudot | Software Architect | Founder at STUDIO BODs

STUDIO BODs     BLT for LabVIEW     LabVIEW Champion     Certified Professional Instructor     DQMH Trusted Advisor     GCentral Sponsor

Check out my LabVIEW presentations and videos!

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 26
(1,778 Views)