LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting data from MYSQL to labview via wireless network

Hi, I am new to programming and was given a task to retrieve data real-time using labview via wireless connection (Wifi) from MySQL server. 

How do I actually start? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,180 Views)

The fact you're using WiFi is irrelevant, as long as you have a connection between your computer and the MySQL server.

As for retrieving the data - have you actually tried to do a search for "mysql labview" - there are lots of options, examples etc. of how to do this. You can use the database connectivity toolkit, or there are other toolkits/solutions available.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 2 of 7
(3,166 Views)
To start, tell us about your environment. Is this MySQL database powering a website? Who has control over it? Will they give you remote access to it? Is remote access enabled on it? Are there firewalls you need to worry about?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,155 Views)

o start, tell us about your environment. Is this MySQL database powering a website? Who has control over it? Will they give you remote access to it? Is remote access enabled on it? Are there firewalls you need to worry about?

Hi,

MySQL database can be access from the website. I am the administration, its currently communicating through the school's wifi network. so i guess it has remote access and i am not sure about the fire walls

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,110 Views)
The easiest thing would be to write very simple PHP scripts that insert and retrieve the data and use the LabVIEW http client VIs to call the scripts.

To encode the data for the trip, use JSON. JSON is compact and easy to convert to and from.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

Message 5 of 7
(3,100 Views)

I was thinking if it is possible to retrieve the data from MySQL with labview instead. 

Is it easier ? 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,059 Views)
Using the PHP scripts would be very easy and much more secure. For LabVIEW to access the database directly you would have to make the database accessable from the network -- an inherently insecure situation. In addition, using the scripts would allow the structure of database to be hidden from the outside world.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

Message 7 of 7
(3,055 Views)