LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

angles between lines

Solved!
Go to solution
I am trying to figure out a way to figure out the angle between to lines. These lines will always intersect. For example, if one line has the xy values of 100,0 and 100,200 and the other line has an xy value of 0,50 and 200,50. These two lines when ploted on a graph are 90 degrees from each other. I just cant figure out a way to do this. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(7,596 Views)

From the Analytic Geometry sections of some math handbooks:

The equation of a line passing through two points is: (y-y1)/(x-x1) = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)

The general form of the equation for a straight line is: A*x + B*y + C = 0

The angle omega between two lines A1*x + B1*y +C1 = 0 and A2*x + B2*y + C2 = 0 is tan omega =  (A1*B2 - B1*A2)/(A1*A2 + B1*B2)

You can do the math to convert the equation in two-points form to the general form to get the angle.

Lynn 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(7,582 Views)

That's basic linear algebra. Use the dot product of 2 vectors to find the cosinus of the angle between these vectors.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(7,580 Views)
I'm still a little confused. do you have any exmples that might help?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(7,546 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joe_John

Here is a way to do it. You can also use the math functions to do it as Lynn suggested.

Ben

Angle between 2 lines.png

Message 5 of 16
(7,539 Views)
I tried the code as you posted it but for some reason I thought I would be getting 90 degrees on the attached example.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(7,527 Views)
This is the long way to do it.
Tim
GHSP
Message 7 of 16
(7,518 Views)
thanks here is my code modified to work
Message 8 of 16
(7,508 Views)

I am aware that this thread is very old, but things gets much simpler if we use complex math. Try it!

altenbach_0-1576433602118.png

(see also)

Message 9 of 16
(4,963 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

I am aware that this thread is very old, but things gets much simpler if we use complex math. Try it!

So are you saying that the real solution is to use imaginary numbers?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 10 of 16
(4,915 Views)