From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

additional installer that isn't NI

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm creating a program that communicates with an external USB device not from NI.  This device needs to have the drivers installed so that I can do library function calls and communicate with the device.  It has a silent installer (*.exe filetype) that I would like to fun automatically when a user runs the isntaller for my program.  I don't see a way to incorporate that installer into my program installer.  Is this possible to do or will I just need to specify that users also need to run the driver install file?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,563 Views)

You can build an installer that runs both installer (You can use inno setup (for free) to build this installer)

Rodéric L
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,560 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jshu23

I've done this with some installers using the option to run an executable at the completion of installation:

RunInstaller after LabVIEW.PNG

There may be some problems with MSI still being locked when the second installer is called.  I think the way around this is to create a batch file.  It's been a while so I don't remember all the details.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,557 Views)

Thanks.  That looks like the option I was looking for, it just wasn't where I expected it to be.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,542 Views)

Yep, MSI installers do not run after the main installation. Can you recall the details? Thanks...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,485 Views)

One thing I have found after using the above solution is that it gets ugly trying to uninstall and update the software I'm developing.  My installer package installs a driver for a device.  If you blindly run the driver installer after the LV installer then it pops up an error stating that the driver is already installed (by nature of how that particular driver is set).  So any time I update my program and have someone install the newer revision they'll get an error running the installer because it tries to run the driver installer and doens't need it at that point.

Can you create an MSI installer from LV code?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,480 Views)
Probably not. I am thinking about using NSIS.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,475 Views)

Well, there is a problem with running MSI from a bat file. For some reason it won't launch if I specify it in bat files, however the MSI runs when it is double-clicked. I found a reference on the NI site, however they recommend to use bat files for versions 7.1. and earlier.  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,461 Views)