From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing to Open Excel file

At one time I was told of a 3 or 4 letter acronym (not ActiveX or anything like that) for a technology which allowed writing to an open Excel document.  I searched for that acronym on Discussion Forums and found an example which perfectly addressed the problem I was having.

Unfortunately I can't find that example anymore and I don't remember what that acronym was!  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,645 Views)
As long as the file is not locked you can write to it using either the report generation toolkit for ms office (labview add-on) or using the ADO interface (sql) using the database toolkit or other ado db tools written that are available for labview.  Search the forums.

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,638 Views)
Try searching for DDE.  It was the best way to remotely control Excel until about 12 years ago.
Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,615 Views)
Hi 2and4,

Yes, I believe that DDE is the protocol you are interested in. While I do not know the exact forum post you found, try glancing at these previous posts:

Need help in DDE communications with Excel

retrieving data from excel using DDE

Let me know if this helps!

Regards  
Amanda Howard
Americas Services and Support Recruiting Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,609 Views)
Thanks to all!  DDE was it...
0 Kudos