From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Data not converting correctly using Variant to Data VI

Hello

I created a VI that will grab data from a MySQL database and then plot a graph of the data. I got everything to work great except for the DATE doesn't convert correctly going through the "Variant to Data.vi".
I have attached a printout of what I see when I run the vi; the data (date) comes out of the database correctly but when it gets converted, the seconds are only 5 digits long (results) - which when the seconds get transfered to a timestamp - the date comes out as 1904, etc.

Any assistance or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ian H.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,549 Views)
I can't run your program because I don't have DB tools installed, nor your database.  But I am looking at your data.

I think a few things are going on here.

1.  The value in the first column of your recordset seems to be a value in days.  This gets cast to a double precision number.  In the loop, the "To Time Stamp Function" takes that value and interprets it as seconds.  Take a look at the help for that particular function.  It says takes in number of seconds since 1/1/1904 in Universal Time.

2.  I believe the time value is getting stored in the database as number of days since 1/1/1900, and probably also based on local time.

So I don't think there is an issue with the way the DB tools are working, or the Variant to Data function.  Just a difference in the way the dates/times are stored in the database as opposed to the way the Labview date/time functions are working with the values.

See attached where I converted the value in days to the value in seconds.  Either the conversion needs to be done (with possibly a bit more to convert to a desired time zone and get rid of that 4 year difference in base time), or the Variant to Data function may need some sort of cluster wired in to get a Time value in days, rather than using a double precision array.

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 09-30-2007 05:42 PM

Message 2 of 4
(2,518 Views)

After thinking about this for awhile, I came to the same conclusion.

I found out if I multiplied my seconds by 83190.8437, the number that got outputed was extremely close to the date I wanted. Of course, the amount of time I am off compounded over 4 days - amounts to 3 hours. Which is what it appears my graphs is off by on a total of 4 days. But no worries.

Thanks for your assistance,

Ian H

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,492 Views)

I don't know why you came up with the value of 83190.8437.  Their are 86,400 seconds in a day (24 x 3600 in the picture I posted above).  And the time base is 1/1/1900 for the database while it is 1/1/1904 for Excel.  So you just need to subtract 1096 days from the first number.  (By the way, most computers think 1900 was a leap year even though it technically wasn't.  They will often miscalculate days of the week prior to 3/1/1900).

I attached a VI (LV 8.2) that does the job.  I also put in another control that allows you to adjust for time zone differences in case you want the value to appear in a time zone other than UTC.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,485 Views)