From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write to Measurement File - NEW file within while loop

Solved!
Go to solution

So I have some graphs of continuous streaming data, and I want to be able to stop, start, and record to file when I choose from within the while loop.  I'm following the " write_to_lvm_file.vi " example here:

http://techteach.no/labview/lv86/labview/index.htm

It's exactly what I need, except that I want it to prompt me to enter a NEW file name when I toggle the switch to start. Then when I stop, all the data would have been written to said file.  Then I'll have the option of start/stopping again, and entering a different file name when that happens, all while the data from my sensors is streaming on my graphs. 

I'm sure this is simple but I can't figure out how to do that!  There was a similar post on the forum but I only have the student version of LabView and was not able to open the example.  Help! 

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
(4,264 Views)

1.png

One of the few times I use Express vis

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 2 of 6
(4,258 Views)

So I can just wire the output (selected path) of that file dialog VI to the same place the file name is wired in the example?  Let's see if that works! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,256 Views)

Just tried that and it put me in an infinite loop!  When I run the program, it pops up with a dialog box immediately - and doesn't let me enter a new name or choose an existing one, and I have to ctrl-alt-delete out of LabVIEW.  Also, I only want this dialog box to pop up when I flip the start switch - not when I run the program. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,255 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dustynrobots

Seems to work for me

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 5 of 6
(4,249 Views)

Perfect!  Embedding it in that case structure was the part I didn't have.  Thank you SO much.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,247 Views)