LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write to Measurement File - NEW file within while loop

Solved!
Go to solution

So I have some graphs of continuous streaming data, and I want to be able to stop, start, and record to file when I choose from within the while loop.  I'm following the " write_to_lvm_file.vi " example here:

http://techteach.no/labview/lv86/labview/index.htm

It's exactly what I need, except that I want it to prompt me to enter a NEW file name when I toggle the switch to start. Then when I stop, all the data would have been written to said file.  Then I'll have the option of start/stopping again, and entering a different file name when that happens, all while the data from my sensors is streaming on my graphs. 

I'm sure this is simple but I can't figure out how to do that!  There was a similar post on the forum but I only have the student version of LabView and was not able to open the example.  Help! 

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
(4,223 Views)

1.png

One of the few times I use Express vis

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 2 of 6
(4,217 Views)

So I can just wire the output (selected path) of that file dialog VI to the same place the file name is wired in the example?  Let's see if that works! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,215 Views)

Just tried that and it put me in an infinite loop!  When I run the program, it pops up with a dialog box immediately - and doesn't let me enter a new name or choose an existing one, and I have to ctrl-alt-delete out of LabVIEW.  Also, I only want this dialog box to pop up when I flip the start switch - not when I run the program. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,214 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dustynrobots

Seems to work for me

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 5 of 6
(4,208 Views)

Perfect!  Embedding it in that case structure was the part I didn't have.  Thank you SO much.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,206 Views)