LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write to Measurement File Express VI header removal

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to or has already created an edited version of the 'write to measurement file express vi' which does not create all the lines to the second "***End_of_Header*** in the output file I attached to this post. The issue is, I need to keep header which defines the columns; however, I either need to delete all of these above lines or be able to add # as an identifier so other programs will know it is not data. This seemingly cannot be done with the standard built in functions.

Additionally, I would like to just edit this express VI due to it already having the functionality of systematically creating new file names of the input file name exists. 

Thank you for your time.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,061 Views)

Hi etvg,

I would like to just edit this express VI due to…

Right-click the expressVI and select "open frontpanel" from the menu to create a regular VI from the expressVI. You can save and edit that regular VI as you like!

This seemingly cannot be done with the standard built in functions.

- You can do all you want with those "built in functions". Editing text files is a quite easy job…

- When you use ExpressVIs you need to keep in mind: they are made for a special purpose and they allow some kind of customization. Everything beyond this purpose has to be programmed by you: most often it is easier to NOT use expressVIs at all…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,053 Views)

GerdW,

Thanks for the response! Sure, I know how to go about editing it, I am just unaware of where exactly the header lines are being generated from by looking at the block diagram. Figured someone on here might have done something similar before.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,050 Views)

Hi etvg,

the header is created in the "ex_HeaderToSprdsheetStr.vi" subVI…

Figured someone on here might have done something similar before.

Whenever the expressVI does NOT fit your requirements you are most often far better when starting with your own fresh VI instead of starting to edit an existing (former) expressVI. Especially this WriteMeasurementFile expressVI is quite large with lots of subVIs: no fun to edit…

(The DAQAssistent is the counterpart in functionality, here it quite ok to edit the converted VI.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 4
(2,042 Views)