LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does spectrasuite stop working when I install Ocean Optics labview drivers?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm using an ocean optics HR4000 spectrometer that I have connected to the pc and installed appropriate labview drivers. Before installing the labview drivers I ran the spectrometer successfully on Spectrasuite. I then installed the labview drivers and got it working through those. However, now, when I try to go back to Spectrasuite, it doesn't detect the spectrometer. Labview can be closed and spectrasuite still won't find any devices. What could be the problem here? I do need some access to Spectrasuite as well as it has more functionality than I can get from using the labview drivers - in particular, I can set the number of scans to average on Spectrasuite but can't do this on labview as I don't have the omnidriver.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,208 Views)

It could be that the installation is changing a shared resource (dll maybe).

Or running the driver could change a property of the device that prevents other software to access it. Maybe it sets it to remote? IIRC, remote can even be locked.

Can you figure out if it is the installation of the driver that ruins things or using the driver?

Can you uninstall the driver? Does things start working again?

Does it help if you reset the device after using the driver?

Does it help if you reset the PC and the device?

Does it help if you reset the device to default settings?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,192 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jh14968

The Ocean Optics code for LabVIEW uses a completely different driver model than the one SpectraSuite uses.  You have to either swap them every time you switch software, or get two separate PCs, one with LabVIEW and one with SpectraSuite.

It is profoundly annoying but there is no way around it.  I have looked, and this same question has come up numerous times on this forum before with no other solutions either.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,164 Views)

Thanks for letting me know, shame there isn't a solution for this 😞 I can't get another pc so guess I'll be installing and uninstalling quite a lot!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,144 Views)

What about doing virtual machines on the same PC?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,141 Views)

@Kyle97330 wrote:

The Ocean Optics code for LabVIEW uses a completely different driver model than the one SpectraSuite uses.  You have to either swap them every time you switch software, or get two separate PCs, one with LabVIEW and one with SpectraSuite.

It is profoundly annoying but there is no way around it.  I have looked, and this same question has come up numerous times on this forum before with no other solutions either.

Any clues on why this happens?

Seems hard to me to get this effect, even if I wanted it.

Do one or both of the drivers install services or something? If it's just bus access, I don't see another way how the two can interfere.

The two must use some shared resource.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,135 Views)

I guess I could try that - might be a bit of an easier option, thanks for the suggestion!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,130 Views)

Not neccessarily familiar with this configuration, but in the past I've had limited success with installing different USB drivers for the same device on different ports. Then, switching the USB port allowed me to interface with the other driver.

Depends on the serial nr. of the USB device being enumerated properly (standard device descriptor). Which a lot of devices don't do.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,124 Views)

Sounds like a good idea, I'll have a look and see if it's possible, thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,084 Views)