LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why LV is unable to find file when its right there?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there,

This problem drives me crazy. I try to load a VI and then LabVIEW starts searching for some of the subVIs (without success) and then throws me a file dialog to browse the file. But the file is right there at the where it is supposed to be. What could cause an issue like this?

thanks!

1984_0-1671437748852.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(990 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author 1984

@1984 wrote:

This problem drives me crazy. I try to load a VI and then LabVIEW starts searching for some of the subVIs (without success) and then throws me a file dialog to browse the file. But the file is right there at the where it is supposed to be. What could cause an issue like this?

The location of that file changed from where the referrer last found it (and this location was stored in the referrer).

The changed location can be relative (you moved a VI up or down one directory) or absolute (if the reference used an absolute path).

You often get the dialog, because of this. Not always; AFAIK moved classes are linked automatically but you'll get a warning. Moved VIs you get this dialog, at least in certain situations.

The location where it shows the file is just the default location of that dialog, and the file "coincidently" happens to be there.

It appears to be rather silly, but the alternative (blindly relinking to the file that has moved) could be dangerous. IIRC this is how it would work before projects where introduced (<LV8) and it could cause really big problems. And also some solutions...

Selecting that file and then saving the referrer should fix the problem.

Message 2 of 5
(970 Views)

That was a comprehensive answer, thanks a lot. Wondering LV doesnt display this information to the user in such a clear manner.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(939 Views)

Are you opening a VI that belongs to a project outside of the project?  I always open up files that belong to a project from within the project, itself.  I think this makes issues like this highly unlikely.  Also, separating compiled code from source code could help as well.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 4 of 5
(914 Views)

@1984 wrote:

That was a comprehensive answer, thanks a lot. Wondering LV doesnt display this information to the user in such a clear manner.

I'd say that LabVIEW was made by engineers, and communications to users is often rather low level.

This one could definitely be improved. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(852 Views)