cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does the coercion dot go?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have a small VI and take a screenshot (PrtScr in Windows) of the block diagram:

There is a coercion dot at this I32 indicator…

When I use Ctrl-A to "select all" in the block diagram, then Ctrl-C to copy to clipboard, then Ctrl-V into a paint tool of your choice (GIMP in my case) it looks like this:

Where does the coercion dot go when LabVIEW creates its own "screenshot" image?

(Using LV Version 19.0f2, 32-bit. Code fragment taken from this thread.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Download All
Message 1 of 11
(2,726 Views)

The problem is that the coercion dot didn't go anywhere.  Specifically, it go into the clipboard.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,688 Views)

TIL you can copy-paste code into image editors.

I don't know where the coercion dot goes, but I can suggest Greenshot as a great way to grab partial images of your screen.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,682 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GerdW

Copy/paste does not show corecion dots, constant folding and other decorations added by the compiler. There are other oddities, for example if a graph is set to autoscale and you change the axes at edit time, the pasted image will not show what you see, but what it would show after autoscaling.

Also, if there are terminals with duplicate labels, the pasted image will have unique labels, with an extra number added to the end of the duplicate labels.

I typically use copy/paste selections directly into ms paint, but if I need the image verbatim (sorry, wrong term ;)), I do a alt+prtscrn instead.

Message 4 of 11
(2,653 Views)

Hi Christian,

@altenbach wrote:

I typically use copy/paste directly into ms point, but if I need the image verbatim (sorry, wrong term ;)), I do a alt+prtscrn instead.

I used to use (Alt+)PrtScr too, then paste into GIMP, then cut to "nearly" block diagram content (to get rid of window borders and menu), then "cut to content".This makes 4 steps with mouse/menu interaction in GIMP…

To get rid of those two cutting steps I tried to Ctrl-A/Ctrl-C in LabVIEW, then Ctrl-V in GIMP: this gives an image of same pixel size as "cut to content" in GIMP with just 3 steps and no additional user action - but without some interesting subtleties of the shown code (all those items you mentioned)…

So I learned from this thread to use the fast way (Ctrl-A/C/V) for "unimportant" block diagrams and the (Alt-)PrtScr way for block diagrams with "more embedded" information…

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 5 of 11
(2,623 Views)

In recent versions of Windows 10 (don't know the exact version it started), the snipping tool has been updated so it works somewhat better. You can open it with Windows+Shift+S, which works, but isn't the most convenient shortcut. It does save on some of the steps, though, because you can immediately crop and copy to the clipboard.

(2,615 Views)

Hi tst,

@tst wrote:

In recent versions of Windows 10 … You can open it with Windows+Shift+S

On my company computer (Win10Enterprise2016LTSB) this key combination does nothing, atleast no snipping tool opens. At home I'm happy with using Win8.1…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,610 Views)

It seems they are changing things. Here's what I See if I open the snipping tool:

altenbach_0-1588262795094.png

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,544 Views)

Greenshot is free, maps to the PrintScreen key, retains the ability to capture exactly whole windows (Alt+Printscreen still works), lets you "snip" sections of screen, and opens a context menu when you're done that lets you copy to clipboard, save to a file, upload to Imgur/other websites/ or send directly to a printer.

I can't recommend it enough- try it out and see how you like it. I prefer it to the Windows snipping tool immensely.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,529 Views)

+1 for Win+SHIFT+S (Windows 10 only?)

Although, I like window's snipping tool slightly better since you can make (very crude) mark-ups directly without resorting to Paint.

Frozen_0-1588272118987.png

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,523 Views)