LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vector subtraction

To All,

This is not really a Labview  question, per se.  I am attempting to subtract one vector from another.  I have attached the vi.  The numbers look like they work fine for vectors that are directly in or out of phase.  However, when the vectors are something in between, the largest vector seems to be 'pulled' in the opposite direction from what I would expect.  For example, if the run vector is 4 @ 90 degrees, and the slow roll vector is 1 at 30 degrees, I would expect the resultant vector to be less than 90.  But the answer is more than 90, in this case 103.9 degrees.  I am missing something very simple here but can't see it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,816 Views)

Subtracting vectors.png

The maths are right.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,810 Views)

What does "run" vector and "slow roll" vector mean?

Have you drawn out the vectors on a piece of paper to see if they make sense?

For R=4@90 and S=1 @30,  I think S-R being 3.605 @ 103.9 is perfectly right.

Untitled

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,806 Views)

Run vector is vibration from rotor taken at running speed.  Slow roll is vibration at very low speed and is meant to be used to remove runout and shaft imperfections seen in the vibration data from the running speed data.  I noticed your example showed slow roll minus running speed.  It is supposed to be running speed minus slow roll.  I thought that's what my example shows.

Regards,

Ron

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,796 Views)

I'd venture that the problem is in how you're thinking about it.

Going back to basics, subtracting the slow roll vector is the same as adding its inverse.  The inverse of the slow roll vector will have the same magnitude but point in the exact opposite direction.  So its phase will be 180 degrees different.

So now visualize moving along the run vector (magnitude 4, angle 90 deg) and then *adding* the slow roll vector's *inverse* (magnitude 1, angle *210* deg).  Now you can see why the resultant vector is over there in the 2nd quadrant at ~104 deg.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,795 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

What does "run" vector and "slow roll" vector mean?

Have you drawn out the vectors on a piece of paper to see if they make sense?

For R=4@90 and S=1 @30,  I think S-R being 3.605 @ 103.9 is perfectly right.

Untitled

I think the green (4@90) should be R, R (1@30) should be S?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,782 Views)

@Coryman wrote:

Run vector is vibration from rotor taken at running speed.  Slow roll is vibration at very low speed and is meant to be used to remove runout and shaft imperfections seen in the vibration data from the running speed data.  I noticed your example showed slow roll minus running speed.  It is supposed to be running speed minus slow roll.  I thought that's what my example shows.

Regards,

Ron

Please address whom you're speaking to. You've got two answers, your reply can apply to either. Then again, both answers are pretty much the same Smiley Very Happy.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,779 Views)

Yes.  One would usually expect the slow roll data to have less vibration than the running speed vibration.  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,778 Views)

Sorry.  I was addressing Ravens Fan.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,773 Views)

@Coryman wrote:

Regards,

Ron

I'm sorry.  I think I swapped the letters in my diagram.  So swap R and S with each other throughout.

Untitled

Here is that diagram fixed.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,766 Views)