From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIPM and Labview cannot be connnected

Most likely a firewall setting. There are numerous situations where this can go wrong.

First when you install an application and first start it and it attempts to open a network connection then you get a nice dialog box that asks you if you want to allow this application to have access to the network and for which network configuration (private, office, public). It is easy to dismiss this dialog but that will simply add a firewall rule to disallow network access.

Or your computer may be controlled by some IT policies that define themselves who is allowed to talk to the network or not and may even disable your right to change those settings yourself in the firewall configuration.

If an application is not allowed to talk to the network in the firewall settings, the network functions won't return an error code (to not trigger malware easily to recognize that they were blocked) but simply drop all data which appears to the application as not being able to connect to the other side.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 11 of 19
(2,610 Views)

Go to Labview -> options -> VI Server and add 'localhost' in Exoprted VIs and an asterisk (*) in Machine access list as shown in the attached image.

This solved the problem for me .

Message 12 of 19
(1,981 Views)

I did a fresh install of LabVIEW 2018 (64-bit and 32-bit) and I've been trying to install VIPM and some packages from there. For some weird reason, VIPM does not connect to LabVIEW 64-bit. 32-bit is OK.

When VIPM tries to connect to LabVIEW, it opens LabVIEW and then pops an error message (attached).

Here are things I did:

- I made sure TCP is enabled on LabVIEW and the port settings match

- I also added localhost to LabVIEW in addition to "*" for the machines to allow access to

- I also opened the ports 3363 (used for 64-bit), and 3364 (used for 32-bit) via Windows firewall

- I tried to swap port numbers between the 32-bit and 64-bit LabVIEW and it doesnt work

Anybody have insights?

Kudos are the best way to say thanks 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(1,699 Views)

I did all of these. VIPM works with LabVIEW 2018 32-bit, but wont connect to LabVIEW 2018 64-bit. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(1,679 Views)

Do a simple test in which you run the Simple TCP - Server and Simple TCP - Client from the examples/Data Communication/Protocols folder. First in just 32-bit LabVIEW, then in only 64-bit LabVIEW and last but not least the server in one and the client in the other and vice versa. Can they always communicate together?

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(1,670 Views)

I tried the example you mentioned. They can run successfully in both 32-bit and 64-bit.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(1,645 Views)

That invalidates the suspicion that your 64-bit LabVIEW version is blacklisted by your firewall. Not sure what else I could recommend here. It works on my machine for LabVIEW 2016 and earlier versions without a problem in both bit variants.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(1,641 Views)

Thanks for your input.

I did a full uninstall and reinstall and that didnt help. It launches the flash screen, then LabVIEW 64-bit, and then shows the error message. I think I've tried all resources i could find on the web - this is a bit frustrating.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(1,631 Views)

You can go to vipm.jki.net and log a Support ticket (you may have to "create an account").  They should be able to help you (as they wrote and maintain VIPM).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(1,624 Views)