From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI's password

Yes. It was a bit longer of a password, not to annoy you, but just to make it a challenge.  It was all normal English words ending with 3 symbols.

Here is an easier one that fits within the criteria you specified of "<InsertRandomWordHereWithAbout8To10Characters><InsertRandomNumberHereFrom0To9999Here>".

Good Luck.

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 82
(3,217 Views)

@Ravens Fan wrote:

Yes. It was a bit longer of a password, not to annoy you, but just to make it a challenge.  It was all normal English words ending with 3 symbols.

Here is an easier one that fits within the criteria you specified of "<InsertRandomWordHereWithAbout8To10Characters><InsertRandomNumberHereFrom0To9999Here>".

Good Luck.

This should be easy. The english language consists of a maximum of 4 million different words. Multiplied with 10.000 this results in a maximum of 40 billion possible passwords. I'll download an english word-list tommorow and have a try.

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 82
(3,211 Views)

When the topic arose at the Orange County LabVIEW Users' Group meeting in mid-2009 (I think), we were told that NI could unlock password-protected VIs.

No mention was made of the price for that service.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 82
(3,192 Views)

@TorPedoCXC wrote:

This should be easy. The english language consists of a maximum of 4 million different words. Multiplied with 10.000 this results in a maximum of 40 billion possible passwords. I'll download an english word-list tommorow and have a try.

Does this include text-messaging "words" like "u" and "ur" and "4 u"? Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 82
(3,166 Views)

I heard an intersting arguement about helmets and american football (go Steelers!) that examined the question "Do helmets actually reduce injuries of encourage more?" Without taking you through the word for word version it sums up as "Rugby is the same game but without helemts and lower injuries. Helmet clad players use the helmet as a weapon so more kneck and head injuries."

So...

Sharing the word about the hope of recoving the password protected code is like saying "Go ahed through yuorself at them, you have a helmet!"

If code is imporatnat enough to passwor protect then the password should be handled as if it the same.

Just my 2 cents,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 82
(3,164 Views)

Fantastic Ben..... P.S, I play Rugger (A slang word for Rugby) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_football Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 82
(3,138 Views)

So ...  still waiting to see if the password was cracked.

Message 37 of 82
(3,081 Views)

Inevitably he discovered that the GPU technique is amenable to brute force attacks, but not so much a dictionary attack.  By his numbers, a brute force attack could take up to 7 years depending on the length of the word and the number (and this assumes only lower case letters!).

If you want to know if this method is possible, post a LV9 VI with a lowercase english word password.  Of course in real life this is like locking your car but leaving the windows rolled down. 

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 82
(3,053 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:

Inevitably he discovered that the GPU technique is amenable to brute force attacks, but not so much a dictionary attack.  By his numbers, a brute force attack could take up to 7 years depending on the length of the word and the number (and this assumes only lower case letters!).

If you want to know if this method is possible, post a LV9 VI with a lowercase english word password.  Of course in real life this is like locking your car but leaving the windows rolled down. 

Yes, the GPU brute force method enables you to crack simple and medium passwords, especially when the word is found in a dictionary. It took me a while to find and build an english dictionary and another mere 10 seconds to try out all 60.000.000.000 (3.000.000 words (including some gibberish), 10000 possible numbers, +words with first letter uppercase). The password that was used was not found though, so I think he misspelled the word or that it may be in another language. I am not here to prove anything about my skills of applying brute force, because that does not require too much, but it should be obvious that it's not okay to just use an MD5 hash to secure one's VI. Especially when you consider that the MD5 algorithm seems to have some more weaknesses that were discovered recently. All old methods and threads that dealt with unlocking a block diagram suggested to use the lock state set method which enables you to try out 10.000 passwords per second. So my new suggestion improves this by multiple magnitudes. If that's enough for your specific case is not guaranteed, but it's your best bet until someone comes up with something better.

I don't know how you calculated 7 years. Some tests I did showed that it would take the following amount of time to break a certain type of passwords.

* to calculate a PW that's found in a dictionary with an added number = depends on the number, if a integer number up to 9999 is used, it's 10 seconds

* to calculate an only lowercase 8 character PW: 26 ^ 8 / 6.000.000.000 pw/sec. = 34 seconds

* to calculate a mixed case 8 character PW: 52 ^ 8 / 6.000.000.000 pw/sec. = 8909 seconds (roughly 2 and a half hour)

* to calculate an only lowercase 12 character PW: 26 ^ 12 / 6.000.000.000 pw/sec. = 15.904.826 seconds (about 184 days)

Compare these numbers to your old method...

I agree to the statement that you should use a proper password and since I said everything I wanted to say there was no need to add another post. That's the reason because I did not answer earlier to this thread.

But now I'm curious which password was used to lock the VI. Could you please solve the riddle?

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 82
(3,015 Views)
The math is all done by hand so your numbers may be better

26^10*10^4 = (10^sqrt(2))^10*10^4 = 10^14*10^4=10^18 possible 10 letter 4 digit pwds.

10^18/(6*10^9) = 1.7*10^8 seconds = (1.7*10^8)/(pi*10^7) = 7 years

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 82
(2,999 Views)