From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Documentation Tool

Our group has been underwhelmed with the VI documentation tools that are provided by NI, so we decided to create our own convention and do the documenation in comments using hashtags (bookmarks) and have a utility that will convert those comments into the VI description.

Here are some snippets that show how to update the descripition based on Specific bookmarks.

Comments are welcome.

Update Description.png

Here is the snipped of the subVI code:

AutoDocumentation.png

Message 1 of 5
(3,031 Views)

It looks good so far, but before you get into this further you might want to check the forum. Over the years I have seen many, many tools for doing this sort of thing posted and why reinvent the wheel?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,012 Views)

Attached are the VIs that we use.

Message 3 of 5
(2,994 Views)

On the other hand, if you came from a text-based language, you might be thrilled that you can put graphics into your comments.  😉

I'm guessing that, just like with other commenting systems, the tools are there and you have to use them to your best advantage.  It looks like you have taken the next step and are using them to your best advantage.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,976 Views)

Nice tool. Have you stumbled across this one? I'm a big fan of it as well:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-17043

If you have used it in the past, I recently pushed in an update which lets you modify a set of controls that share the same name -- that is, you can change every instance of "error in" to share the same description in a single click.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,948 Views)